Sign in to follow this  
smish

g60 non starter

hey guys im wondering if any one can help me,

I've got a 1991 corrado g60, 140k miles, about a month ago it started to run pretty bad and when you would give it full acceleration in any gear it would die and feel as if it was smothering itself, then when you backed off the accelerator it would backfire badly. slowly began to get harder to start. when idling and when accelerating slowly it would run fine. after about two weeks its gave up and wouldnt start at all. i changed the distributor cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs and fuel filter all to no success. i adjusted the ignition timing every way possible and eventually gave up the fight. i dropped it to a recommended vw garage who looked at it and got it going again, they told me they adjusted both main timing and ignition timing. i got it home and droe for a few hours but then stalled again.its getting fuel as far as the fuel rail and its sparking fine,so it has sat there for the past week and im confused as to where to go.

any help would be greatfully appreciated,

thanks lads.

Has the crank pulley moved on the crank? :( Commonish problem with the G60,Where the keyway wears and then allows the pulley to shear or damage the crank.

Something to have a look at if you can.

Neil.

yea ive tried that, its perfect. a guy told me bout that before but had the pulley off and its fine. also the guy in the garage told me the shell bearings need replacing, would there be a knock sensor or anythin that would not allow me to start?

vac pipe from the throttle to the ECU is probably the cause of the initial bogging down problem.. needs to be exactly 100cm long.

Timing problem does sound like either a dead hall sender in the dizzy to me too... :|

is the hall sender located in underneath the dizzy cap? the vac pipes were never touched in the last 2 years? but will measure it anyways out of curiosity!

Hall sender is part of the dizzy, the connector for it sits on the side of the dizzy and it works like a coil. There are 4 plates and 4 gaps and when it passes through one motion it goes past the 'reader' which then sends an electrical current.

Yeah and it can fail completely. I think the ECU moderates the spark and that is how it advances ignition according to all the other inputs it gets from other various sensors