Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Wiper Motor knackered or something else?

I hate wipers. There always seems to be something wrong with mine.

Yesterday a friend and I drove 4 hours in the rain to a gig in Oxford. I had the wipers on for about half the journey, normal setting. Just as we came into Oxford the wipers stopped working... :(

They seem to be jamming 3/4 way round their revolution, so they go up and wipe the screen but on the way back down they suddenly stop. When they stop you can hear a vibrating noise then all it takes is a slight push down on them and they carry on and then go back up again (and do the same thing).

A shoelace later and we had a system in place to get us home whereby my mate pulls on the lace from inside the car and the wiper unjams itself.

Sooo... is the motor fecked or could it be something else? Do I need to get busy with the WD40?

I haven't had a chance to look at the mech yet because guess what? Someone put a scuttle cover over it! :roll:

I'll have a look thismorning when the rain dies off but I need to get it sorted as I have to drive to work tomorrow!

Cheers guys,

Trig

i had exactly the same on mine and decided the motor had run out of steam, so i replaced the motor and all was well, although i did replace everything else aswell, but am sure it was the motor

They're about £80 from VW but GSF sell them - standard Golf part...

Does the scuttle cover sit close to it? - I reckon it overheated...

Does the scuttle cover sit close to it? - I reckon it overheated...

It sits right on top of it actually touching it. And yeah, I thought that.