vwdeviant

The Forced Induction 16V Thread

i have a polo i was going to sell and then buy a ibiza 2.0 16v cupra, but then got to thinking about putting a g lader on the 1.4 16v, the g40 seems alot harder to find then the g60 though, cheers

Hi guys, I'm currently fixing up a '93 2.0l 16 valver, and once it's up to standard I would like to fit a G-Lader to it. I'm not looking for insane power, only around 190-200 bhp, can anyone tell me how much work/money is involved in this?

P.S I know this was probably mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but it's so huge I really can't be bothered to read it all!!! SORRY!!!

Hi guys, I'm currently fixing up a '93 2.0l 16 valver, and once it's up to standard I would like to fit a G-Lader to it. I'm not looking for insane power, only around 190-200 bhp, can anyone tell me how much work/money is involved in this?

P.S I know this was probably mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but it's so huge I really can't be bothered to read it all!!! SORRY!!!

Okay..it would be boring if we just read old threads all the time however it has been covered in great detail in this thread and others on the forum.

There is a definitive guide on Vortex that i refered to in the beginning.

However..

BBM use to make an intergration kit so that you could just bolt the necessary g60 16v parts together but alas this is no more.

Soooo do a search for jezza's 16v g60 flusted 16vg60 or yandards 16vg60.

The one thing you'll see about those three engines is that they all tackled the conversion differently in many ways.

It's like that.There are many ways to do it.

Not the easiest conversion...because it is not simply a case of getting a donor engine and dropping it in.

It's more like scrapheap challenge.

Decide on your base engine and then consider how you are going to lower compression.

Obtain all the necessary 16v and g60 engine parts.

Drive the alternator somehow,most mount it under the charger and then ensure all your pulleys align.

Have an intake manifold that has the intake on the correct side of the engine bay,e.g scirocco manifold or a cut down audi s2 manifold etc.

Then it is standard engine conversion stuff,i.e engine managment.

You can use g60 digifant with a chip.

Or go standalone,i.e MS or Emerald etc

Water pipes is a mixture from both engines

Boost pipe work etc

Most will tell you it is easier to go 20vt or 16vt,and I'm not going to argue with them.

8)

Thanks, sorry for making you go through it all again!!

Your welcome.

Are you still interested?

You'd easily get your target power from it,although if that is what your after maybe the saner thing to do would be to buy a VR or buy and tune a g60?

I''m just trying to be realistic and sensible here.If you do decide to go 16vg60 though i'm sure you'd get alot of help along the way from everyone here. :salute:

Yes, I am still interested! I don't really have the budget or the constitution for getting a whole new car (I just bought this one!), and the 2.0 I have now is almost perfect, a few hundred pounds worth of work will make it a fantastic little motor. However, I feel the car really deserves a bit more power, and one of my Corrado owning friends suggested I looked into supercharging using a G-Lader. As I say, I'm not looking for face melting speed, as I want to preserve the car's fantastic handling, just enough to give a standard VR6 a good run for it's money.

So would a turbocharger be an easier option, or will I have to make the full 'scrapheap challenge' job you mentioned?!

Each present their own challenges.

However I would say that the turbo route was easier than a 16vg60 though.

Definately.

If your going for relatively low power you could run a smaller quick spooling turbo and get away with running stock internals and use stacked gaskets to lower compression ratio.

Your maximum power would be limited but you would have very little lag so that the car would feel more urgent etc.

Could be fun?!!! :)

Awesome, sounds exacly the sort of thing I'm looking for! As I said, I want to preserve the car's handling as much as possible, and the rapid responce you mention would really help this.

I'll look into this further and keep the forum posted! Thanks for the advice :cheers: !

Be nice its my first post in this thread :D

Right then guys the time has come and im finnaly going to ditch my g60 and turn to a nice 16vt setup :clap: The car is now officialy off the road awaiting a new motor.

Since the cars of the road im going to have a few more pennies to throw at it over the next year or so. and thats where you lot come in, I need a List lol !!

My aim is a reliable 300bhp+

Now i havnt got money to throw around willynilly but ide like to spend money in the right areas and save in others.

Basics,

What engine: Can i use my g60 bottom end with a 16v head ? If so what head would you go for ??

: Or should i use a complete 2.0 16v along with forged pistons ect.. Kr or ABF ??

Big money bits:

Turbo: Gt28rs ?

Pistons: I dont want no spacer gaskets here lol

Manifold: Now ive read your little debate around the 1.8t manifold, however im always on a buget so will this reliably take 300bhp.

Management: could i save money here and stick with the g60 managment ?

Now i know theres a lot more than that but i need to get the ball rolling otherwise itll never get started, im planning on taking the G-lader off the car next month to raise some funds to get me started.

Theres shed loads ive missed but this is the start of the long journey ahead of me.

If somebody feels the need to tell me exaclty what to buy to turn my g60 into a 16vt monster then go ahead :grin: :grin:

/\

Seriously dude read the 1st few pages on this thread.You don't have to read the whole thread.The first few pages should give you enough to go on.Then maybe ask more specific questions from there.

Not that many FI 16V engines on here anymore...Not that I can think of anyway.

:(

If there are they are hiding away.

hi there i was woundering if any1 can help me i wanted to no if there was away to get rid of thr air box in a 16v corrado with out putting on a turbo or supercharger ????? plz help email me on [email protected] thanxs for ur time

I've just read this entire thread.... ouch my head hurts!! :gag:

Armed to the teeth with 16VT info now though.

Attempting a 'modest' 250hp budget build on a 1.8 valver.

I'm on the hunt for a T3, as good nick as poss, hopefully get something VW/Audi?

Found a Kinetic cast turbo manifold with w/gate tapping from the US, and inlet manifold from german Ebay. Thought i'd buy fresh than modify OEM for peace of mind.

Plenty of Merc Sprinters and old Volvo's down the local scrapyards so i know where i'm gettin the intercooler and oil cooler from.

38mm 'V Type' wastegates and BOV's on ebay.

Mate has access to a good selection of new hosing and induction parts.

Having a bit of grief finding spacer gaskets though to lower the compression, anyone know where to get these at all :confused4: ???

Have also found an ebay seller supplying all types of fuel and oil hosing looks like good quality stuff.

Plenty more things to source yet but this threads been fookin amazing help nice one you boost beasts! :)

Hi guys,

I'm in the VERY early stages of looking into this, and have a query. I've read through pretty much all of this thread and searched, but can't find the answer to probably a simple and silly question.

My query is regarding the brake system on a forced induction car. With a normally aspirated car, there's always a vacuum in the intake plenum (although slight at full throttle) to run the brake servo. When the car is converted to run a supercharger or turbo, where does this vacuum come from? Does the system rely on the basic principle that you don't use the throttle and the brake at the same time, or is there a 1-way valve to "evacuate" the servo when the throttle plate is shut (vacuum in plenum) and keep the servo working?

On most turbo diesels, they run a separate vacuum pump to get round this, I just wondered how you 'rado boys got on with it. I mean, G60s must have had something to run the servo, but surely the compressor inlet depression (the slight negative pressure caused by the air filter) isn't enough???

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Gareth

it's exactly the same principle, by the time you've switched your foot from the accellator to the brake the thottle has closed and a vacuum has been created in the plenum :D

Anyone looking for a sound engine, poss for a FI project should check this out on Ebay, £550 reserve, not usual skag had alot done to it and can be delivered.

Item number: 300321718836 or search for 'VW 16v engine'.

Sorry but i do not know how to do links! :cuckoo:

I am new in this Forum, and iI am sorry if i posted my question in the wrong theme.

I need a little help.

I use:

PG engine block

9a engine 16v top

PG engine stock pistons and rods

Evo 8 (TD05HR turbo)

etc

Is true that the compression ratio is 6.2:1?

Setup is a suspicion that the compression ratio is too low.

What happens change PG standard pistons and rods to S2 stock pistons and rods? Is it possible?

I have read that it is possible to do so. But is this true info?

How big is the Compression Ratio when i use in the 16v PG engine (+16V 9a top) stock S2 pistons and rods?

Jaanus

if you use the audi s2 pistons in your engine you will have a much more suitable compression ratio of about 9.0:1

Just putting a 16v head on a pg block will not work.

Compression ratio will be too low as you have hinted above.