Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Standard shocks with 40mm drop

Hello all, want to knock 40mm off the ride height on my 16v, but dont really want to compromise ride comfort, so firstly i'm assuming its ok to drop 40mm using standard shocks, and secondly, any ideas on part no's/prices for 4 new shocks from VW?

Or do GSF supply them and are they any good?

Also seen some unipart shocks on the bay brand new goin cheap. Anyone had any experience of these?

Thanks in advance... :D

You'll compromise ride comfort more by just changing the springs. Ideally springs and shocks should be matched. Shorter springs with standard shocks is almost certainly going to lead to badly compromised ride comfort - only gone down that route myself once before and vowed never to make the same mistake again.

mattnorgrove, I am about to do exactly what you sre suggesting and lowering my VR6 using new springs and keeping the original shocks. I am having the work done tommorrow so I will be able to report back with the ride quality soon.

Riva read the above post mate, sounds like a bad idea...

Andy665 Cheers for that mate, appreciate the swift reply. Reckon i'll look out for a matched set then. Also wondering if the MK2 Golf kits would fit, and also what other parts would need swapping (top mounts etc)

Thank again...

I have a set of G-Max 40mm drop springs and shocks coming up for sale soon. They are on my C at the minute but i am getting coilovers soon. Not the best kit you can get but they seem ok, fairly comfortable for daily driving and offer enough support for handling with less body roll than standard. Plus i just bought brand new bump stops for them which i havent even fitted yet!

Here is how my car sits:

atwork3.jpg

Rob.

herisites Would they fit? I see yours is the VR... What sort of price would you be looking for? What sort of condition are they in?

I have -40mm springs on standard shocks and the ride is bone-shaking to say the least, in fact im thinking about ditching it and re fitting the original springs!!

Does sit nicely tho...

I have -40mm springs on standard shocks and the ride is bone-shaking to say the least, in fact im thinking about ditching it and re fitting the original springs!!

Does sit nicely tho...

I'd do it soon, standard shocks will not last long with lowered springs, they're just not designed to work at that length constantly.

I'm pretty pleased with the top adjustable Koni's for dampers, even though I have the harder Eibach springs, that combination is far better than the standard or boge uprated dampers the car used to have with the Eibach's, amazing how much more comfortable good dampers that suit the spring rates are, worth spending that bit more.

TBH I picked up the spring kit for £20 so its was my intention to run them till I can afford to splash out on some coilies!

herisites Would they fit? I see yours is the VR... What sort of price would you be looking for? What sort of condition are they in?

I am not sure whether they fit or not tbh sorry :?

Well i have had one of the fronts off and apart as i checked to see if they had bump stops which the front did (although i replaced that one with the new one i bought lol) and the condition seems fine. I am not 100% how many miles they have covered etc but when i bought the car in August the guy i got it off said it werent long since he fitted them.

As for price, they are only G-Max so am told they are worth about £70 for the springs and shocks. But i just bought all new bump stops coming to around £40 so i would want closer to £100 tbh.

Rob.

So can anyone say if Golf MK2 sets would fit?

Seen some Coilovers goin at the right price....

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, rear dampers and parts are identical, front's may have a different top mount and bearing, but mk2 owners use the early corrado/passat ones as an upgrade, although having said that the ETKA info below shows the same part number.

The main problem would be the incorrect springs for a lighter front end on the golf I'd have thought.

Oh and i have now ordered my coilovers so would be selling in about a weeks time

what did you end up ordering then, did you get a decent deal :?:

Went for the Weitec GT's in the end as darren at g-werks done me a good deal

good luck with them mate, its like a minefield out there with so many available, i'm sure you'll keep us updated with you're findings :)

An Update as promised - I now have my 40mm drop on standard shocks and the stance is about perfect imo and the ride is great!! Im very pleased with the result, so much for bone shaking! New magnex is awesome also! :splat:

An Update as promised - I now have my 40mm drop on standard shocks and the stance is about perfect imo and the ride is great!! Im very pleased with the result, so much for bone shaking! New magnex is awesome also! :splat:

Riva? Which springs did you get then?