Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Suggestions for a new car please - decision made see pg3

Just about to start a new job in Jan and have been given a car allowance of £450 p/m to spend on what ever I want :)

Basicly I will be doing aprox 30K miles a year and will have to pay 30% of all fuel... with this in mind I have been looking at diesel engines but the sporty models.

My current list of cars I could live with are - price quoted is the monthly lease purchase fee with no deposit:

VW Passat Sport 2.0TDI 140PS - £430

VW Jetta Sport 2.0TDI 140 PS - £383

Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI 170PS VRS - £393

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9JTD 16V - £456.90

Renault Laguna 1.9 1.9 DCI GT - £379

I will also need to factor a monthly amount for insurance...

I really like the new Passat as had one with my old job and IMO it ticks all the boxes! However, I'd be grateful if anyone thinks I've missed anything or have opinions on what I'm looking at...

Do you need something with a huge amount of boot space Phil. If not then why not a fully loaded Golf 2.0 TDI. Leather, Cruise, Sat-Nav, Grand Prix alloys etc. Here's a pic of mine, very enjoyable place to spend 30k a year in.

The Octavia VRS all the way, a colleague has done 50k miles in a 140PS Octavia Sport with DSG, he's averaged 46mpg and says that its the best company car he has ever had.

What about the Leon TDi as well?

Dude... 450 p/m car allowance = £300 p/m to spend on car, insurance, maintenance etc after greedy Gordon gets his share...

(or less if you're into 40% tax territory....)

:mad: :bad-words: :brickwall:

Are there any conditions..eg must be less than 3years old etc/4 doors?

No conditions on what I get and I've considered what they'd take in tax and decided that I've been paying co car tax for the last few years out of my salary and it won't be any more than what I'm used to if I spend the full allowance... please feel free to tell me if I'm wrong :D

Octavia would be the safe bet but how about taking the plunge and be different and try something new e.g the alfa. A brand new black 159 was behind me and it looked the dogs - i thought it was the new Brera until it came along side. The back was pretty damn nice too.

Renault = naff French ****

VW Passat = boring. Grill like a new Golf R32 but then......... its not.

VW Jetta = you know its wrong

What about the new baby Volvo estate which looks cool i'm sorry or just say sod it and get a Golf GTI.

Would you be liable for maintence doing lease hire?- i'd be tempted by the alfa- especially since you've already owned an number of VWs and everyone should own an alfa once in their life...

I would avoid the reno like the plague...

The Octavia VRS all the way, a colleague has done 50k miles in a 140PS Octavia Sport with DSG, he's averaged 46mpg and says that its the best company car he has ever had.

What about the Leon TDi as well?

second that, vrs or leon tdi if it were me.

Passat and Laguna both win it I think but I want to drive the Laguna GT as only have my fathers to base my opinion on... most new cars are fairly comfy though!

Haven't looked at Seat as I think their new cars look pants - the old leon on the other hand was lovely 8)

I think from the list youve given Phil id be inclined to go for the Jetta.

Looks well smart, all the mod cons and a booted Golf, best of both worlds.

Those prices seem high, is that because of the mileage of 30k a year?

IF you were doing 10K a year you could get a Mercedes CLK 220 CDi Coupe Avantgarde 2Dr Auto

Based On 3 year contract, covering 10,000 miles per annum (business)

Monthly Cost : £354.99 + vat

Yeah it's all down to the killer 30K fun packed miles I'll be doing :D

I'm still headed toward the Passat but will have a good look at the laguna and Jetta - due to my love of all things dub I expect I'll settle on the Passat or Jetta 8)

Be aware that Volkswagen have had major warranty issues with the Passat - mainly electrical and worst on the TDi units. The company I work for run a numbe rof new Passats and they have not been great reliability wise.

I've driven a 1.9 Laguna TDi and it was awful - no performance at all - BUT it was very comfortable.

If you go down the Volkswagen route, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of someone who'll be able to do a very good deal for you.

If you want a specific spec on a Jetta or Passat you need to be prepared to wait for up to 16 weeks, network stock is poor at the moment and 60%+ of sales are factory orders that are currently taking 4 months to come through - the joys of modern manufacturing techniques

Skoda, 170bhp what more do you need to know!

ORRRRRRRRR what about a bm 330D?? I went in a chipped one last weekend and i think the torque dislodged some of my internal organs!

Cazza16v, yes mate - both the saloon and the estate - lovely car and would have been my next car with my old job!

Andy665, I'll be in touch with out a doubt as I'm bound settle on a dub - I've had a new shape passat 1.9TDI S for the last year and haven't suffered any problems with it!

NickVR6, Plus the new 2.0 FSI VRS has the same 198bhp as the mk5 GTI! I do love them but have to think about insurance costs at the same time... as for BM's I'd want a coupe and they're about 7-8K over budget - plus I do believe you get more car per £ with VAG 8)

I certainly won't be steering you in the direction of Colbornes - my colleague covers the S East Volkswagen sites but he just got a stonking deal on a PAC car, Passat Sport TDi estate with DSG, comfortably less than your budget but I think it may have been a one off deal

Tried a Passat a while ago. Build quality was shocking :shock: The key fob start hole thingy trim came off with the key, there were bits loose and missing, and a selection of screws in the mug holder hole (or somewhere). It drove well, but was really falling apart for a car with 6k on the clock. My moneys on the Octavia. Hopefully going to find a (nearly) new 140TDI L&K (e.g. got everything + leather) spec in Jan :mrgreen:

Phil

Interesting, Colbornes?? Would they be the VAG dealer shown on all my service history by any chance. I thought they nolonger existed? If they do im happy because they could stamp my log book from 30 to 100ks worth of servicing, which would be nice!!

Sorry to hijack your post Phil!!

Andy665, sounds like he got a very nice deal! Would be very grateful if you could look into Passat Sport 2.0tdi 140PS costs and PM me some figures - I will be looking to get this in place during the first week of Jan! As for spec - the only thing that is tempting is the MP3 adaptor in the glovebox for the standard head unit - other than that all I ask is for metallic Black or Silver paint! Would prefer Black though if there's available stock! I know Colbournes had about 6 Black ones in various trim waiting to be delivered...

Storm Monkey, I have heard so many similar stories but insist that my years experience with one as a daily driver was superb - lovely car in terms of comfort and quality and with the Sports spec it will be perfect in my eyes - does this sound like I'm already decided yet :lol: