Sign in to follow this  
dnac

Loosing water, and pipes pumped up

OK,

I am still loosing water, and now after running it to work I checked to see if I could see the leak, the bottom hose is cold, the top hose is red hot, and both are really really hard, like they are pressurised.

I cannot see any oil in the water or water in the oil, but could it be the head gasket, or is it a blockage somewhere?

Its a 2.0ltr 16V

Just had the same problem with my 1.8 16v,

thought it was the head gasket, then went to the garage to get it checked,

they said there wasn't anything wrong that they could find,

they ended up changing the water pump and thermostate now she's run fine again.

Same thong happened with my 1.8 Gti Rocket... except it actually kept eating Hoses, ended up replacing every hose in the engine bay and at least two top hoses. Only ever did it in the winter though.. and yes it had the correct Anti-freeze mix...

Never did find the cause but had a new w/pump and Thrmostat, as well as temp senders (x3).

Best of luck and keep us updated....

Really i think this has to be the thermostat, if its only half getting hot this means there must be a blockage, most likely blockage is the thermostat.........(Sits back and waits to be proved wrong)

thermostat or waterpump are defintely prime suspects in this one to me...

Get an exhaust gas analyzer into the expansion tank to check for exhaust fumes to eliminate the head gasket from the problem.. ;)

thermostat or waterpump are defintely prime suspects in this one to me...

Get an exhaust gas analyzer into the expansion tank to check for exhaust fumes to eliminate the head gasket from the problem.. ;)

Don't have a gas analyzer, but am gonna do the thermostat tonight, if that dont work i'll try the pump, cause even if it don't work is still got to be cheaper than the bits for the head gasket. (an a hell of a lot less work)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't have a gas analyzer,

Just visit your friendly MOT tester. I did back in June and asked them to hold their probe into my expansion tank :lol: to check for HCs or CO in the coolant.

Tempest

Changed the thermostat, And after sitting in traffic The top hose is still red hot, the Bottom hose is hot-ish. Still bubbles up in the expansion tank

Temp while sitting was just over 90Deg and oil was 110deg,

I was wondering if it could be a weak waterpump now?

Again, another cheap part that you might as well change. even if its not at fault its probably worth a change just to save you grief in the future

ummm, your water temp gauge was reading 90 and your oil was 110 while it was sat in traffic?

They're well within the normal temp ranges.... :| What's the problem?

ummm, your water temp gauge was reading 90 and your oil was 110 while it was sat in traffic?

They're well within the normal temp ranges.... :| What's the problem?

Thats what i am asking, I am hoping that I am worrying for nothing, i just need to know the highest the oil temp should go before being worried

well according to the "corrado user guide" its 142*c and if it does reach that you should "pull over and stop the engine" :lol:, but to be honest i think i'd start to worry way before it hit that.

Your temps are fine, the oil may be a little high but only by a few degrees but still change the water pump as i would expect your water temp to be pushing 100* in traffic, so I'm still reckoning that you not getting the heat transfer.....