Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

Steering shake withe new wheels

Hi guys!

I have just fitted Design 90 porka rims to my 1.8 16v raddo. I am using delta mic's adapters which are steal. The rears are 8" wide and the front are 7" wide. I have a 320mm steering wheel and I belive my car is lowered 40mm soon to be 60mm. Unfortunately when I get to about 70MPH I develop an annoying steering shake. Its not rough its quite gentle but its annoying. Ther wheels were balanced before fitting. I did have a slight shake on my steering with my ole bbs rm's. These were only 6.5 inches wide and I was runing 50 profile tyres not 45's like I am now. I just put the shake down to 2 slight ding in both the front outer edge by the previous owner of the bbs but its worse with these D90's. Anyone know what could be causing it. I have spoke to a mate who is a tyre fitter and asked if balancing the wheels with the adapters on would make a difference as they are 20mm thick he said maybe.... Anything else anyone could suggest. I can't drive through it does it all the way upto its top speed from 70mph.

:?

Thanks

Tony

As double-6ssays, itll be a wobbl youve had for a while that is being amplified by the width of the wheels.

Thats what i thought.

Take it somewhere that can balance the wheels on the car, that way it eliminates any probs with wheels, brakes and the driveshafts.

tarche2, i noticed the small dings on your RM's when i came to pick the cabby up from you with my freinds Ben and Toe, the outers on my RM's where in much worse shape with a couple of nasty flat spots and after they where balanced there was no steering shake whatsoever, it might be worth getting the hubs checked as spacers and wider wheels will amplify the effect of bent hubs.

I spent ages trying to get rid of this when I first had mine, all on standard drivetrain, only succeeding after a thorough check of both balancing & tracking, and as Goldie says, there are places that can balance on the car to check hubs etc too. Good luck, I never was sure what exactly sorted mine but it was worth the effort. 8)

I had a vibration thought the wheel when my diff support bearings were on the way out and the driveshaft wasn't properly supported. It destroyed two inner cv joints too! Are the spacers properly centered and not throwing it out of balance?

I assume so! My dad is a mechanic has been for years and he fitted them so I assume they are fine! As I said did it slightly on the old wheels! I will ahve a look at the cv joing and wiggle the driver shalfts about! I will do all alignment once dropped in Feb! Before then not much point due to lowring tends to throw everything out! Could it be bushes or anything such as?

Know anywhere down south in Surrey?

Ask Phil K, hes in that neck of the woods, im afraid i dont know anywhere down here that does it.

It is good though, i had mine done on the car, recommended...

South coast wheels have a good workshop in Southampton, they got mine straight and smooth. Tel no. easy to find, but if your waiting til it's lowered do a full workover of everything you can get to then. As far as I know, bushes shouldn't matter, unless something else is wearing them out unnaturally? My knowledge stops about here...

if you could let me know where you get it done that would be much appreciated as mine need doing too and i live guildford way!

Will do mate! If your in guildford you should check out my club! We meet once a month near junction 6 m25. About 30 miles form you. Next meet is 2nd monday in Jan 8th 2006. After that its the 1st Monday of every month! http://www.40mmc.co.uk

or even 2007?? haha..sorry, noone like a cocky sh!t..but yeah i will definately come down, is it a big meet? its not the no-rice one is it? not that that would be a bad thing..used to go to that loads when it was in guildford but havent been for ages now!

No its not no rice. I set this club up for bike and cars alike anything wleocme so we get a giood turno out obviously at the mo everything is a bit quite we have 35 members on the forum but in the middle summer this yeah we have about 40 vehicles turn up.