Sign in to follow this  
DoZZa

1.8 16V Power Problems

Hi all,

Been having a bit of a nightmare with the car recently, accelerator cable snapped recently and the drivers side door was not opening.

All of that has been sorted, but I now have a new problem.

The car seems to be lacking in power, mainly from idle upto about 3k rpm.

Also very noticeable up hills as well. But there seems to be no problems with power when above 3k rpm!

Have recently discovered that one of the earth straps from around the coil area was snapped, I replaced this which seemed to help with starting issues. I also changed the HT lead from the coil to the distributor as i was getting an intermittent spark from the coil.

The exhaust has also just developed a crack just before the back box

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Not sure if it'd cause a difference to only upto 3k, but when you changed the distributor, did you make sure it when on at the same level/degrees as before? If you haven't then it's possible that the timing is out.

I take it you've changed the spark plugs too?

edit: Actually, it seems to you were having problems before you changed the distributor so ignore that! Lol.

Could possibly be the fuel filter also.

Just checked this thread and it says there that a cracked exhaust box caused a flat spot.

This might be a really stupid question but you are getting full throttle opening with the pedal pressed right down aren't you???