Sign in to follow this  
waynos

heater matrix

was reading the problems page in this months golf magazine. A chap with a mk2 golf needs a new heater matrix because after 5 mins of turning the blower on the heat stops comming out of his vents. They said this was down to the bypass valves and that he should buy a mk3 golf matrix instead because there is no need for the valves with these. My question is can a mk3 heater matrix be used on a corrado? or any other model? i need to do mine again!

If you replace the matrix on a Corrado, please use the genuine VW Golf 3 matrix 1H2 819 031 B as if it fails in warranty, VW will change it free of charge, including doing the work, even if someone else fitted it. I have found that the Valeo aftermarket and non brand GSF units usually fail very quickly, especially on a VR6. You don't need the bypass valves with this matrix.

lol what do you mean not likely. once the dash is out its quite easy isnt it? i didnt have too much trouble doing it last time

ive had the dash out so many times! i changed the last matrix in about 2 hours. have given it a go with the dash in and got the rite arse with it n gave up lol

jus use the search, you will find a guide on another corrado site. Its just learning where all the screws are in the dash really.Ive been behind there so many times with electrical faults. the swapping of the matrix is the easy part. If you are going to try it this guide may be handy

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/ultima ... 112#000003

just be patient!

heard bad stuff about them, they are no where near as good as oe stuff. You get what you pay for. I dont intend to keep on taking out my dash so I am happy(ish) to pay the extra and get the better quality one!

I have heard reports of them failing on numerous occasions. Save the hassle and go oe.

I've changed 2 heater marix now (Golf GTI and C 16v), and in both cases used the more expenisve opton from Euro (less than £40 - bu6t it's been a while).

These were stamped up (and dated) as a VW part but made in France - just like the original items.

Valeo I think.

the original ones lasted 10 years +, better than the euro car parts one which only lasted around a year from the ones I heard.

Of course it may last for ages, I would rather have that extra security of an OE part. But thats just my opinion.

Leaking and bursting are two different failures. Leaking is a nuisance caused buy the matrix getting old; bursting is due to the matrix being weak when subjected to high pressures in a head gasket failure situation, something that happens on older cars more than new ones. An impromptu 102°c foot spa of coolant isn't a nice experience, I have seen it happen a number of times and one chap I saw it happen to in the queue to get into a show in Holland ended up in hospital.

OK, GSF sell two matrixes (matrices??) listed for the mk2 golf, and one of these part numbers is also the one listed for the corrado and mk3 golf, anyone know if this has the built in by-pass valve that the VAG matrix for the mk3 is alleged to have?

The VAG unit doesn’t have a built in by-pass that I have ever noticed but I don't make a habit of cutting up new parts! I won't fit anything other than genuine as if they fail, they change them for you-but I have never had one fail.