Sign in to follow this  
corrado vr6

all misted up

Hi all

I was driving my C this morning when i noticed that all my windows were misted up and the windscreen was beyond a joke i could barely see!!

I pulled over and i had read somewhere that if you have damp carpets etc then this can be the reason why!

I felt around the passengers foot well and the vents for the foot heater were wet so i removed the shelf below the glovebox and there is a round thing (great description) on the left which ocasionally drips. It rained last night so i dont know if that was the reason or if its the heater as the heater still works and gives out plenty of hot air but at times you could see the mist forming. i have checked around the ecu and there doesnt seem to be much debrie, my C always misted up in the past but normally the heater clears it away however this time it just wouldnt touch it if you have any suggestions please pass them on.

i have done a search but i got conflicting opinions as if the the heater is still working then it not the matrix but others said that even if the heater is still working it could still be the matrix please help and thanks in advance

Greg :(

the round thing that occasionaly drips could well be the blower motor. It shouldnt be wet really so you may have a build up of leaves and shyte round the air intake.

Remove or carefully lift up the scuttle cover and have a good clean round the grill that sits under it. If leaves get caught round this then they will stop water draining away and the only place it will end up is your carpet.

Having said that you still might have a heater matrix on the way out. Mine seemed to be leaking for some time before it finally blew. and I had the same symptoms as you, ie not clearing the windows of mist even though the heat inside the car was getting painfull.

HTH

just in case this helps the blower has now stopped working!! this could because its shorted itself due to its sobbing wet or its the route of the problem, the damp does smell somtimes smell like anti freeze and is sticky also what does this mean????

smells of anti freeze , sticky - glycol , sounds like classic symptoms of a matrix problem unless your lucky and its a loose pipe , are you losing coolant ?

yeh that sounds like the heater matrix to me, luckily for me, i hope i have found my problem, i checked everything that has been mentioned on many threads, but my misted up windows was due to the sealent on the 3 plastic bits on the bottom of the windscreen, there was no sealent there?? i took them off and bunged loads of black sealent on them before replacing them. and for 2 days no misty windows :D

if it is a problem with the heater matrix is it possible that it may just be a hose come off!

if so does anyone know anyone that has taken one out or fitted one as to where the possible leak points are or where the hoses are ie: where to look and what to remove to be able to see where they are!!!!

I think it has been narrowed down to be a problem with the heater matrix some where along the line i have mangaed to collect some of the water and its a dirty or rusty colour it doesnt smell of antifreeze but there is a faint smell of something.

also where the blower motor is located just under the glovebox is there any reason as to why there would be water dripping ie: any hoseds or containers etc that i should check i might be repeating myself but if i can avoid a garage bill for something very simple i would be extremely pleased especially this close to xmas

again thanks in advance

Greg

im pretty sure that the only way to find out if it is the matrix is to by-pass it in the engine bay. if after by-passing the matrix, and your not loosing water/wet carpets, it will be the matrix.

, but my misted up windows was due to the sealent on the 3 plastic bits on the bottom of the windscreen,:D

Hi

Please can you put up a picture of these 3 bits, or give me a description.

Cheers. :D

yes its a crap picture, getting new camera in 6 days from santa :D

at the moment it looks a bit messy, just gonna get a really sharp stanley blade on it when i'm next off work, but it has stopped the windows from misting up 100%. what was really scary was the water was getting under the 3 pieces of plastic and drenching the ECU.

karl

i have been to work on the C this evening i have managed to by-pass the heater matrix and i have run the engine up to temperature so far no mist etc. i will use the C for a couple of days just to see what happends however if it turns out to be the matrix which is looking mor than likely at the moment how much does one cost if i were to go with a VW matrix not an after market one and wheres best to buy from (websites please)

just like to say thanks for everybodys posts and Merry christmas.

Have you checked if the water level is dropping in the expansion tank?? If you are having to top up the tank freqwntly then it is probably the matrix... or one of the pipes onto it... but if your expansion tank level is not changing then it can't be the matrix

I would suspect that you have had the windscrren replaced and that there is a leak on the left hand side of the screen..... I am just after having to get my screen replaced for the same reason

Chaps - easy way to check if it's coolant...

First - it'll smell like coolant (shove yer nose in the header tank to see what it smells like, then sniff your carpet).

Annd it tastes very sweet and sugary. I'm not recommending that you go licking carpet, but a quick dip of the finger and a lick should let you know.

Here endeth the entirely innuendo-free post :lol:

Hi again

I went to pick up my C this evening after work only to find after by passing the heater matrix a couple of weeks ago that i have lost coolant and there were three damp patches on the concrete where it was parked so i believe that it surely cant be the heater matrix at fault or it was to begin with now something else has gone wrong. i have been losing coolant on and off since i by-passed the heater matrix but i just topped it up again as over xmas i wanted to drive my c rather than my transit so i just topped it up and kept an eye on it but this evening i checked the level before starting and it was well below the min level. just really wondering as to what this could mean i am thinking of re connecting the heater matrix using it over the weekend then taking it to a garage asap but it would be good if i could point them in the right direction to keep cost down on a garage bill!!! so any advice, hints, help and general knowledge would be most appriciated at this point and Thanks in advance