Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Heater matrix bypass valves still available?

I saw mentions of bypass valves for the heater matrix on another thread and I also remember reading a PDF from VW USA (I think) detailing how to do it all and giving part numbers for various bits including bypass valves and a new fan controller unit (IIRC).

Is this bypass valve thing still available? Is the new controller available or even needed?

I replaced my heater matrix a few months back but didn't fit a bypass valve and am wondering if I should now.

By the way, I did a full write up with photos (including VR6 radiator fan replacement) but have been meaning to upload it since (it needs tidied up a bit first). Please hassle me to complete this!!

Its not really a bypass valve per say. Its more of a "restrictor" that goes on the inlet part of the matrix hose. It reduces the flow of the coolant into the heater matrix.

HeaterCoreIllustration.jpg

Its not really a bypass valve per say. Its more of a "restrictor" that goes on the inlet part of the matrix hose. It reduces the flow of the coolant into the heater matrix.

RS VR6, I've seen that in-tube restrictor before, but I've also seen ones that look like they 'join' the two pipes together.

Anyway, are either of these still available? I'm sure I don't have them in my hoses (I looked!). Are they really required? I would hate to have to do the job again!

Matrices have no valves in them.

UK VR6s don't have coolant restrictors.

All you do to 'bypass' the matrix is join the two coolant hoses together with a joiner.

The VW 'official' bypass valve as fitted to MK2s was a valve that dumped the coolant back into the return pipe in the event matrix failure, so it's just the same as joining the two together manually.

If you've replaced it already, don't worry about it! That's another 10 years use at least.