Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Clutch pedal on floor and no gears.......any ideas ?

Well I've had an arse of a day so far.

Collected my car from the bodyshop earlier on and drove about town for a while but gearbox starting to feel "difficult". I then noticed clutch pedal had started to drop closer and closer to floor. Then started to get more and more difficult to get 1st and 2nd gear. Traffic a nightmare by this point in town, and having to keep in 1st gear and even with clutch pressed right to floor car was still wanting to go, not a good sign.........Eventually got nearly home and then had to try and reverse into a space......wrong move. Car now stuck in reverse gear !

Tried with both hands to get shifter out of reverse to no avail......then all of a sudden she popped out of her own accord. Clutch pedal now right on fllor without being pressed........Left her in neutral and managed to roll into a space thank god...........so I've really just about had it now.

Don't think it can be clutch as had the new VR6 helix clutch put in only 70 miles ago. Am thinking synchromesh in box gone or maybe cables snapped ?? It now won't go into any gear at all..........I have however got side-to-side movement with the shifter but nothing else.

Has anyone any ideas or advice on what to check / have checked other than what I have mentioned above ?

Cheers :-(

Your clutch pedal is on the floor mate as it has no pressure in the fluid.

I reckon your box will be okay its just that it was under pressure hence why you couldnt get it out of reverse.

For your clutch, check your brake fluid level first, if thats fine check for a fluid leak under the car, on the bulkhead or on top of the gearbox. the clutch hose goes into a spiral as it leaves the ns chassis leg and into the gearbox, check along its length for signs of leakage. or it may just want bleeding properly which is pretty easy.

If you can put your car on the flat where it will sit still with out the handbrake you should be able to get the gears again with no clutch and the engine off.

Jimmi.............

Edit:weird,were no replies after id posted mine :? :lol:

If the pedal is on the floor,possibly fluid related? maybe just half of a more complicated problem?

Have you given it a visual under the bonnet? tried shifting the mech on the box yourself? checked fluid? checked for any visible leaks? checked for snapped cables?

Not much help i know,but always worth a visual at the possible obvious.

Neil.

do you have a cable clutch due to the 16v box?

if the clutch pedal has gone to the floor it has to be either the clutch, the thrust bearing, the clutch release arm, or the cable/master or slave cylinder, as knackered gears would have no effect on the clutch pedal.

when my clutch collapsed i couldnt get it out of gear either as the weight of the car on a slight slope was holding it in gear, as soon as i got out and gave the car a bit of a push it released straight away.

Under the bonnet near the gear box a white plastic part in the linkage gets brittle with age and broke on mine. Maybe not that, but worth a look.

New 16v box is not in yet, however, sounding more and more like it's the clutch master cylinder on bulkhead or the clutch servo on top of the gearbox. It can't be the actual clutch as it hasn't even done 100 miles yet !

Will check fluid level tomorrow and for leaks under the bonnet as tbh had so much of a crap day, that I came home at 3pm and went to bed ! In any case the car isn't now going to be going anywhere till after New Year as garages (most) up here not re-opening till 3rd Jan......

Away to work now till 3.30am.........

Cheers for the advices guys

Struan - when was the fluid last changed??

A mate of mine had his brakes go really spongy shortly after the car went in for some paint, we think something from the spraybooth either got absorbed into the brake fluid or something happened when the car was in the oven...

clutch is hydraulic and the G60 O2A box is cable-change ?

Any ways, am too tired to think right now, will have a look at her tom afternoon after work and see what's what,

Cheers