Sign in to follow this  
eddy

Push button start

Hi folks, It's about time i started work on my corrado ( now xmas is out the way ) My corrado vr6 will not start off the key it has a push button start instead? So i was wondering if the ignition switch was knackered so that is why someone fitted the daft start button. Also it was fitted at a garage as i have a receipt (£45.00) for supply and fitting of the switch. So do you folks think it could be the ignition switch or something else?

So......did you ever have/see this car started??

I'd start by checking all the connections from the start button, is there a fuse with the button...it'd be simple to test if it the button switch itself not working as you should just need to connect the wires on the back of the button start together.

It certainly could be the ignition switch or something else...

the ignition switches are a well known problem, and still available from the steal0rs.

chances are the switch went, and they decided to add this button, thats what my money would be on.

get a new switch, and i'd think it'll be fine :)

good luck

Cheers for all the replies folks. I will phone the stealers up tomorrow and see how much they are going to rob me.

20-25 quid I think?

I bought mine a couple of years ago, but I don't think the price has changed much.

The car I bought had a push button fitted to where the cigarette lighter ysed to be, to get it to start you have tohave the ignition switched on before it starts.

chez2165, should go without saying, else your car would be rather easy to steal!

I had exactly the same problem with mine, one Sunday 200 miles from home and the ignition switch gave up. Found an auto electrician open and got him to wire up a push start. Later bought a nice red push button from Maplins for £1.04 and wired it where the fag lighter was.

Chicks digged it... lol

I got an ignition switch from gsf, for under a fiver. It was plastic though, and from what i remember, the plastic ones wear out easily from excessive use.

I got the ignition switch from the dealers this morning and it cost me £17.68 plus the vat.

The part number is 6N0-905-865 just in case anyone wants to get one for there corrado. I will fit it tomorrow and let you all know the outcome.

Chicks digged it... lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...and I've got a huge penis so I removed the start button fitted to the TDI so if anyone wants a nice red button with a silver surround already fitted to the lighter surround then PM me...

I got the ignition switch from the dealers this morning and it cost me £17.68 plus the vat.

The part number is 6N0-905-865 just in case anyone wants to get one for there corrado. I will fit it tomorrow and let you all know the outcome.

good luck mate, it's a fiddly swine of a job. Just done it on my Passat GT

the car i bought has a push start button, ignition needed to use it of course

i think its quite a good safety measure, as mine is hidden out of sight, but easy to get to

so if anyone jumps in and tries to start it.. unlucks:) doesnt work on the key

start buttons are cool but IMO, they just add an extra step to starting the car, i prefer efficiency :lol:

It's also worth noting that the ignition switch can also fail in such a way that the engine won't fire even with the starter turning, so even if you have a starter button and it fails in that way, you'll need to replace it....

Does anyone know what each coloured wire on the back of the ignition go to?

i.e which wire goes to what?

Reason i ask is i seem to be one missing??? Its been cut and i can't find where it is?

Ok i have found the wire it was the starter feed wire. It was tucked up under the dash? Only problem i have now is i cannot get the screw out to remove the ignition switch, Will try again tomorrow as it is to dark now to carry on.

you should really put a relay in there if you are putting a start button in, that was you wont over load the switch.

you should really put a relay in there if you are putting a start button in, that was you wont over load the switch.

I think he's removing his starter button and replacing with a normal (new) ignition switch.

eddy,

You just have to persevere with that little screw, it's a right shitter - i smashed the plug bit off the old one to access it easier. Use the search on here, plenty of other good tips.

Right then folks i have got the new switch fitted and all is now well. The car car starts as normal now. The only problem i had is the little bloody screw, I ended up smashing the old switch of as the screw was so tight.