Sign in to follow this  
greengti

tie / track rod ends

afternoon

I have recently been changing my front wheel bearings and track rod ends on both sides of my rado 1.8 16v. The pass side was no real problem just the usual hard but not impossible rusty bolts but when it comes to the track rod end on the drivers side i feal like i have met my match.... this thing just aint moving!!

So my question is:

Am i doing anything obviously wrong? it is normal handed thread?? isnt it??

Any suggestions on shifting is??

Now usually in this position i would just admit defeat put it back together and take it down the local garage but the track rod end i cant move is damaged so putting it back together is not an option..

Please help....

is it just spinning ? or not turning at all ? you mean the nut on the top of the track rod end ? or do you mean the locking nut on the rack ?

have you got the hub off ?

i mean the track rod end that goes in to the wheel hub and on the end of the track rod arm (if its called that) is solid!!! i am able to move the nut that it tightens up to but not the actual rod end.... I have tried different methods of clamping the track rod arm but this always slips before the track rod end will turn... it is just solid.. I dont think i am just being a girl either as i have a decent amount of experiance of workin on old cars, but this time i am having real trouble...

sorry yes the hub is of.

sorry.

The hub is off the car, the track rod end is still attached to the track rod which is attached to the car. The track rod end is rusted on to the track rod and i can not shift it.

The two parts i am talkin about are not on the diagram you put up.

I hope thats clearer.. or at least a little bit..

the arm on the rack is shaped to take a spanner to adjust the toe in/out and remove the track rod end but you cant hold it tight enough ? have you tried some heat on it or soak it in wd40 ? be careful not to manhandle it too much as the steering arm goes into a knuckle and you dont want to damage that

Hi,

I assume you are trying to separate the tie rod end (right angle bit the bolts to hub carrier) from the tie rod arm (long bar that goes into steering rack)

Not sure if the threads are handed or not so no help there but try clamping the tie rod end and turning the tie rod using the flats on the tie rod itself. The tie rod will not unscrew from the steering rack as it goes into a balljoint that is free to rotate.

I can also recommend the use of penetrating oil (Halfrauds do some good stuff in their own brand) and a bit of heat.

Good luck!!

(Damn too slow Gixxer beat me to it!)

yes thats what i am talkin about....

I have been putting WD40 on it over the last couple of days with no real luck, heat has been a thought but surly you would requre somthing with a little more heat then a domestic blow torch type thing???? I have been clamping it on the adjustment bit but its that solid its just rounding teh metal and i dont want to nacker the are just to remove the end...

yeah you can pull back the gaitor and take the whole tie rod off the rack and get it in a vice if all else fails mate

the tie rod arm screws into the rack

hth

daft question i know but you have undone the locking nut havent you ?

:lol: yes i have undone the locking nut.... well worth askin though..

Takin off the arm and putting in a vice was my next thought... all this messin about in the garage at night is doin my cold no good at all.....

Thanks very much guys i really appreciate your input... i have just had enough.. and to think this all started cos my rubber strut mounts had play so i changed them then the wheel bearings started making noises so i am changing them which is when i noticed that all the rubber on the track rod ends had slit and cracked...... When you start it gets hard to stop....

might be best takin the arm off and yeah one thing always leads to another ;-(

i just cant remember if the track rod end is a left hand thread but i've got a feeling it may well be but i'm sure you have tried turning it both ways

Do you have a blow torch?

One of the small workshop /kitchen butane powered jobbies?

These work really well at freeing-off seized/rusted nuts and bolts - particularly if you're not interested in re-using the rod-end.

Is this the bit you are stuck with? if so then this type of ball joint splitter is the easiest to remove even the tightest of track rod ends!

sttrackrod.jpg

Chris