Sign in to follow this  
kenno

1.8 16V Wont start from cold

Hi people

Was hoping some 1 on here may be able to help us, i have a 1.8 16v which i have not had for long, i bought it with the intention of doing it up. Right since having the car it just does not seem to want to start from cold, my mechanic friend is doing work on it at the moment, he has done the head gasket and a few other bits fan switch, thermostat etc.

This is all fitted now but he says he is having problems getting it started from cold, he said he can get it started when setting the timing really high and it will start straight away when warm. He advises getting a temperature sensor and plugs and leads. Was wandering if anyone on here knows of any other known things to go for on aswell.

I cant seem to find a 16v temp sensor on GSF do they not list one

thanks kenno

use this company http://www.vwspares.co.uk/, you'll only get given a part for a saab 95 or something if you go to gsf.

plugs are easy to check and cheap to change if you need too, HT leads are going to cost you over £50 a set, but if the other ones are knackered then you going to have to get them.

You have 2 coolant sensors in the side of the engine, one for the gauge and the other to signal the ecu, the ecu one i believe you have to get from the dealers.

You have a 5th cold start injector on the right had side of the engine block on the end of the fuel rails with a blue plug on it, this will need to be checked.

Oh and check the battery is putting out around 13.5 volts without the engine started as a weak battery will always play up in this weather.

Just some things to get you started........

Best of luck

hi guys

thanks for both your replys, want to vw dealers and the muppet behind desk got me the wrong sender, he has got me the guage sender instead of the ecu one.

Can any1 tell me weather i can get (number 3 in the picture from motor factors or is it dealer only. The guage sender he got me was like £26.00 so am gonna take it back and either swap it for the right one or get me money back.

Also can you get the thermo time switch non-gen or is that just dealer only

thanks for any help

thanks kenno

From what i've searched it appears that number 3 is only available from dealers, you could check out GSF, but again your quite likely to be given the wrong part