Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

120c normal driving?

My car is showing 120c whilst driving carefully....it reached this temp after 5 mins of driving. The light is flashing on temp gauge as soon as i start up. Bottom rad hose is not getting hot nor are the matrix hoses......any ideas?

loads of similar posts coming in at the moment, if the pipe isn't heating then there must be a blockage.....the most likely is that the thermostat isn't opening or the water pump isn't turning, changing them is fiddly but worth wile.

loads of similar posts coming in at the moment, if the pipe isn't heating then there must be a blockage.....the most likely is that the thermostat isn't opening or the water pump isn't turning, changing them is fiddly but worth wile.

Agreed, I am doing this at the moment. I have the front end off cause I am doing the rad/oil cooler at the same time which makes it easier.

My Corrado is going in next Monday to get a few bits looked at by a mechanic who has worked on Golf GTI's and Corrado's for years so he will be able to fix the problem....is it dangerous to drive until then?

Not dangerous but you'll probably end up at the side of the road with no water as it all drains out the overflow.......the risk is up to you.

My car is showing 120c whilst driving carefully....it reached this temp after 5 mins of driving. The light is flashing on temp gauge as soon as i start up. Bottom rad hose is not getting hot nor are the matrix hoses......any ideas?

light flashing as soon as you start up means there is no coolant - or you have a fault with the sender/wiring. Check for leaks.

If no leaks then I would say, like nocrap, to check thermostat - cheap part, easy fix - as a 'stat that's stuck closed will just build up the pressure in the system until either expansion cap valve or heater matrix fails - leading to no coolant...

If your thermostat is stuck close (which it sounds like) then yes you will definitely be risking doing permanent damage to your engine esp your head gasket and cylinders. Get the thermostat including all its housing (this is important) replaced asap. 120 is still within safe limits but still way hotter than to be expected for a stock unmodified engine. Don't drive it until then.