Sign in to follow this  
sonia16v

Golf Mk 3 2.0L 8V - engine complete power cut out

I don't know if anyone can help - but today my engine lost complete power. i was changing up from 2nd to 3rd gear and the engine totally cut out. No warning just complete lack of power. i immediately thought it might have been the cambelt but on close inspection luckily i can cross that off my list!

i then re-started and seemed fine for about 1/2 mile and then exactly the same thing happened. the battery light and oil lights came on and then a total loss of power. i've had my golf for 2.5 years - ever since my poor corrado was written off, and have never experienced any problems before today.

one friend has suggested it may be the fuel relay - has anyone else got any further suggestions or experienced anything similar. I've had a look round the internet and one suggestion is that the throttle body may need cleaning out.

i'll be calling the AA tomorrow to recover my car and hope that i can quickly fix it - any help will be much appreciated.

Sonia x

Get the AA to do a battery test, you would be surprised how many seemingly catastrophic problems are just dead or poor battery output.

If you get a fault code read done and there are no fault codes, the most likely culprit will be the ECU relay (the fuel pump relays rarely fail, position twelve, bottom row on the far right). This relay is at position three on the fuse box (top main row of relays, third from the left) and has the number 30 printed on top and the VW part number is 165 906 381. If there is a relevant fault code on the ECU it will probably be the engine speed sensor but I don't know what engine your car has, 2E, ADY or AGG as only the ADY and AGG have a crank speed sensor. The relays cost about £12 from VW and the old fault prone versions have a black case and are made in the Philippines or Malaysia whereas the new versions are in a grey case and are made in Germany or more often than not, Portugal.

could be ignition switch ? dont they still run if the relay is gone ,just goes into safe mode ,i had a mk3 with one gone and it just used more fuel ,only ever cut out once and that was after caning it ,overfuelled and flooded i think .

Check the earth strap condition/is screwed down properly, might not be that but worth checking

turned out to be coilpack, got AA man to diagnose, then took one off my mates car to try and it worked, just have to pop do VW on monday morning to get one/.

or if anyone knows whereelse to get one

2ltr 8v 2E part number on the old one: 867 905 104A

thanks