Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Dirty airbox

Hello,

I recently took the top of the airbox (K-jet 16V) to work out how to get the 10K performance booster spray stuff (seems to be getting good reviews) into the system without the engine stopping. i finally found a pipe that could be removed, above the panel filter, that allowed the engine to stay running.

Anyway, my question is this - should i see and oil in there?? There was a little oil (old and very sticky) around the mechanism for the air mass meter, and a fair bit all over the inner surfaces of the main air duct all the way into the engine. Again, very sticky stuff - wasn't rubbing off with cloth. Bit like that bit of jam you regretted not wiping off the counter earlier that morning.

Don't know if its a problem, or just a 100,000+ miles engine, but doesn't seem to affect the running of engine - idles smoothly and revs well, no (minimal) oil leaks and reasonable fuel consumption.

Only askin cuz when i did the same to my scirocco (sadly no longer mine), it was clean.

Where would oil come from anyway - its the airbox!! :scratch:

Any ideas.

its from the the oil breather,just clean it with petrol or something some people even take the pipe off the engine and put a small filter in its place

its best to jamm the 10k boost pipe in nearer the throtle housing.....loosen the clamp on the rubber boot..it should go in there

and a little oil/mess in the airbox is normal

Thanks guys - minds at rest again. Every time i do anything to the car i see £££££ going infront of my eyes.

eg. Today I thought I blew something in the engine. Turned out to be bluey smoke from the turbo diesel infront kinda got sucked under my car and blown out the back. Wots the car equivalent of hypocondria?

Thanks guys - minds at rest again. Every time i do anything to the car i see £££££ going infront of my eyes.

eg. Today I thought I blew something in the engine. Turned out to be bluey smoke from the turbo diesel infront kinda got sucked under my car and blown out the back. Wots the car equivalent of hypocondria?

P A R A N O I A :shock:

just wait til you own a vr6 :shock: