Sign in to follow this  
8vSport

Rough running 1.8 16v Rado. Help!!!!!

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.I am hoping someone can help me with my poor running corrado.Its a 1990 1.8 16v model and i have owned it for just over a year.It had been running great until about two weeks ago.It started off with a poor idle and slight misfire on cold starts.It ran and drove fine once warmed up.It was due for a service so i changed the oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm(all quality components Bosch, beru and Mann Filters).it ran great for a day after the service but the problem soon returned but now worse than ever i.e. poor idle, misfiring and jerks while driving whether warm or cold starts and totally lacking power.Coincidentally the temp gauge stopped working and replaced a broken temperature sender on the side of the head with a genuine VW replacement but didn't fix this problem.I'm hoping someone can shed some light on these irritating problem before i have to spend a small fortune replacing expensive parts (i.e, ISV, control unit, idle ECU, injectors, Etc.) Cheers Guys. :mad:

There is a number of recent posts regarding similar problems.

You didn't mention that the HT leads were changed this could possibly be the problem, there should be a cold start injector on the front right hand corner of the engine, in a horizontal position, possibly with a blue plug on top of it. This could cause the problems explained....

Did you check out things such as the air and fuel filters? although i'd assume this would cause a constant problem rather than only when cold.

As for the temp gauge sender, it's a very simple piece of equipment, just to be on the cautious side i'd replace it with one from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/ as they are only a couple of quid, and that'll rule out being sold a dud from VW. If that still doesn't fix it check the wiring to the gauge itself as the problem must lye here!

I have not changed the leads and have recently purchased a fuel filter but haven't had time to fit it.Didn't want to take the chance to buying an ISV or coldstart valve until i was sure of the problem.Thanks for your help. :D

can the person that gave the link for vwspares please tell me if the brake hose 89-91 is that the right one for a 1991 corrado, 1.8 16v

can the person that gave the link for vwspares please tell me if the brake hose 89-91 is that the right one for a 1991 corrado, 1.8 16v

Urmmm no, but due to it saying 89-91 and your car is 91 i'd say it's fairly likely.......you'll need someone with access to ETKA or ETOS to say for definite, i wont be on mine until tomorrow now.