Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Which VR6 aux water pump?

My aux water pump is knackered, so ordered a new one from ECP. Went to fit it tonight, removed old one, fitted new one. Went to plug it in, and the plugs are slightly different :mad: My old pump has one 'ridge' on the socket, whereas the new one has two :( Gutted after spending an hour wrestling with fracking VW hose clips etc.

Anyway, I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if the top one here is the one I need. I ordered the fourth one down. I would get one from a stealer, but the nearest one is 40 minutes away, and they prob won't be able to get one in time.

It's kinda urgent as I need the car for next Tuesday.

Cheers

Crap- link doesn't go straight to the correct page- go to cooling system, then water pump ;)

I had the same problem on mine, but it turned out that at some stage, a loving previous-owner had hacked out the old pump and plug, plumbed in a Golf/other VR part and spliced in the plug for it.

So I hacked that back off and put spade connectors on instead.

It's a nasty bodge, but it works...for now.

That's a very good idea!

Have been on the phone again with ECP, and they reckon they've found the correct one for me, and it's around £20 cheaper! Should arrive by Tuesday. Let's hope it's the correct one this time!

Otherwise I'll go with bigpants baby's idea ;)

CazzaVR.

IMO VR6 seems to run OK with seized aux pump (dedicated 5 amp fuse blows then). Mostly we will not know pump/fuse has failed.

I think it is merely a belt and braces thing to prevent head warping due to hot spots at certain times. I wouldnt run over 5000 rpm that way, though. 8)

I think it is merely a belt and braces thing to prevent head warping due to hot spots at certain times.

It also takes the strain of the heater matrix!! If it wasn't critical VW wouldn't have put it there...

Sorry, S'charged - did not know about heater matrix aspect.

All I know is that my VR6 had been running for an unknown period of time with seized aux pump and I had experienced no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm convinced the aux pump in my last C never worked and that was fine (until I bent it).

I was driving this C with a gammy aux pump for weeks before I got round to fixing it. It's not a critical part in a "if it dies the engine will implode" sence as with the main water pump, but it is a good idea to make sure it works :)

I only found that the aux pump was seized when I found its 5 amp fuse was blown.

Anyone know how you would you know otherwise?

Car ran great with no overheating, funny noises, etc.

Right, this is now getting ridiculous! ECP have sent me the wrong part 3 times! :mad: There doesn't seem to be any getting through to them what part I need. Each time they've assured me it's the correct one, and different to the last one they sent...

So, I'm gonna get one from VW instead. Before I order it though, I want to make sure I've got the correct details. Does anyone have the correct part number? The one I need has a plug with just one 'groove', whereas the part ECP keep sending has two. It's identical in every other way.

I could just file off the two ridges on the pump, but want to try and get the correct part first. Starting to wonder if it's obsolete.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

I only found that the aux pump was seized when I found its 5 amp fuse was blown.

Anyone know how you would you know otherwise?

Car ran great with no overheating, funny noises, etc.

If you turn the ignition all the way on, you can hear it whirring. Plus I think it runs on after you stop the engine for 30 seconds or so if it's hot.

CazzaVR - According to ETKA - 251 965 561 B "Additional water pump" is the part you want. No indication of how many lugs it's got on it tho :(

Just had a look at the one ECP sent yesterday and the no on it is:

0 392 020 024!

Looks absolutely identical apart from the plug.

Hi Cazza,

I bought one for my 95 MY VR last year from the dealers and it's perfect. It is part number as above (W251 965 561 B) and was 78.54 plus VAT. Not sure how many lugs it has on the elec feed but if you need to know I'll have a look in the morning...

oxfordpaul, would be very grateful if you could let me know- thanks! :)

bigpants baby, ball-park figure?

According to ETKA - 251 965 561 B "Additional water pump" is the part you want. No indication of how many lugs it's got on it tho

dinkus is correct.

The one I bought from ecp in August 2006 for my 1995 VR6 has that number (called "reference no." by ecp)

but their "part no" is 201440740

It fitted fine and cost £58 plus Vat.

Hi,

Pics attached as per request and the plug has one side with a protruding piece so I guess that means 1 lug like your old one....

Hope this helps!

craigowl, that ECP part no is the same as mine, but the number on the pump is 0 392 020 024, not 251 965 561 B. Surely the ETKA number should tally with the one on the pump? Getting totally confused here!

oxfordpaul, cheers for those- exactly the same as yours. I'll just have to go and have a chat with the parts guy at VW and try to get to the bottom of it.