Sign in to follow this  
grimmy

Had a ride in an Evo 9 fq360

My friend works for Mitsubishi, and was told he should borrow the top spec evo 9 fq360 press car for the weekend. Just so he knows what they're like when he's trying to book them out to people. He's also 21 so we got some funny looks driving the thing round this afternoon.

I just want to say how impressed i was with it! I never really think much of the showoff over the top jap cars. But this thing performs rather well... It was a nice quiet and comfortable ride, then when you want to there is just effortless power. Casually cruising in 6th gear, then when you put your foot down it throws you into the seat like my little vr does in 2nd!

If i had a spare 35k i'm not sure i'd go out and buy a new one, but the second hand ones are floating round at a reasonable price these days.

Big thumbs up from a grinning 21 year old anyway.

Well he'll have a hoot with it. Although in the hour we were driving it, nearly used half a tank of fuel! Not a cheap car to have, and thats coming from a young lad with a vr haha.

really like them, think they are really cool, and im not someone who likes big plastic spoilers etc! but i think they are really nice, but surely all they do to get 360 odd bhp is whack a turbo on the size of a dustbin? i dont really think thats the best option when trying to show off engineering skills. especially for the japs. but other than that fantastic cars. better than a scooby IMO.

Its the 400bhp FQ400 that has the 4.5k service intervals. Would have thought the 360 and under would be 6k. Either way not cheap! One of the accepted traits of turbocharged cars i'm afraid. Everything is that much more stressed and they're needy on oil and spark plugs.

I had an Uno Turdo once and the service schedule according to the service book was every 6k (incl oil) plus an intermitant oil change every 4.5k :shocked!:

It was a chuffin' Uno man!!!!!!! WTF

All Evos have a 4.5K service interval. It's not specifically for the engine although they do get a fill with fully synthetic at the same time, it's based on an oil change for the AYC active rear diff. It's a pig of a job that requires the use of the Mitsubishi only MUT2 tool. There's no vagcom available for Mitsubishis but when I was working on them regularly I made a kit up to plug into the rear diff loom which forced the pump and valves to bleed manually.

They also need the major service at 45,000 when all the belts have to be done, again the cambelt is up to possibly more miles but there's a balancer shaft belt runs behind it that if it brakes tends to get snagged in the cam belt and takes that out too! That service will cost you about a grand from Mitsi. Bit like a G Lader really.

Oh yes, and driven without care you may need a clutch between even oil changes, too many quick launches and it'll be slipping very soon.

But none of the above would stop me buying one as they are a brilliant motor, capable of just about anything you ask one to do. Just don't stray far from the V Power!