Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Power steering giving uneven assistance

Any ideas what would cause the PAS (on a mk2 Golf) to assist more turning left than right?

The belt's new and tight, the camber / tracking has just been done, the tyres are all the same and correct rotation and no visible signs of leaking anywhere (fluid level is constant).

I'm not to clued up on how the PAS works. The steering doesn't pulsate like a slipping belt, just feels heavier when turning right. The local garage man took it for a hack and said it goes and handles well, just the PAS seems to be assisting unevenly with no idea as to why.

Thanks.

How would the rack cause that, wouldn't it generally wear evenly in the middle so would effect both directions on slight turn-in? Just can't see why one way is worse that the other.

How would the rack cause that, wouldn't it generally wear evenly in the middle so would effect both directions on slight turn-in? Just can't see why one way is worse that the other.

I'd imagine the valving that opens to give assistance in that direction is on it's way out.

Ah right, see I don't know bugger all about how power steering works. Are the valves internal to the rack then? Can then be replaced separately or is it a new / second hand rack?

Yep it's the rack.

If you peel back the nearside steering gaiter I'll bet you a fiver there's oil in it.....

As you turn right, oil is leaking past the seal and thereby reducing assistance pressure....

Unlucky....racks are not cheap.

Mine's doing the same thing.

You should also notice a gradual drop in PAS fluid level?

Ah right, see I don't know bugger all about how power steering works. Are the valves internal to the rack then? Can then be replaced separately or is it a new / second hand rack?

Nothing you can service yourself, new, re-con or S/hand needed.

I've heard bad reports of some re-con racks (leaking soon after fitting) but they should come with a 12 month warranty. New ones from VAG are prohibitively expensive, so I'm going to try my luck with a fairly recent s/hand one off a mk3 golf myself.

Sounds about right, its a car I sold on and just helping out with so not sure on the level dropping. Are all the mk2 and mk3 power steering racks compatible?

Sounds about right, its a car I sold on and just helping out with so not sure on the level dropping. Are all the mk2 and mk3 power steering racks compatible?

I'll soon find out!

The track rods are different lengths (plus axle on the VR6 and GTI mk3 golfs), but in theory the VR6 golf rack I have will fit in my early 16v, I'll have to swap over or get new rods and ends and I've also got a later 22 spline UJ to fit the later racks 22 spline input shaft (early ones and all mk2's are 36 spline).

The corrado racks all seem to be the same quicker ratio than the mk2 8v golf (16v mk2 is same part as early 4cyl. Corrado's)

Mk3 VR6's 16v and 8v GTI's and SEAT ibiza's, polo estates, and seat toldeos with the 2.016v all seem to have the same rack too, 8v non GTI racks from these types of car may fit but will be different ratio's lock to lock.

James fitted a SEAT rack to his 24V VR6 Corrado with no trouble and that item was a part number which supercedes the 2.0L 16v corrado rack so I can't see why not, see steering thread - warning, v-long!

For any mk2 8v golf I'd imagine these VR6/16v racks will go in (with the right UJ's and rods), just be faster ratios.

David.