Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Misfiring after going through a big puddle

Went through a rather large big puddle this morning not dead fast id say bout 25ish max and when i came to a stop then engine died when i tried to move off and felt like a misfire this happened to anyone else? Sure made me crap my pants idled crap all the way to work! Then when i came to drive it at 4ish all is fine again! Anyone offer an explanation?

Cheers man by leads i presume the HT leads! Next time i see a big puddle from now on im goin 10mph through it!

Check the distributor hasn't got wet (unless thats what dr_mat meant).

If it's a Storm, it will have a coil pack rather than a distributor. So dr_mat is correct... ;)

mine does this, its the coilpack on mine, right at the top on the front of engine, you can actually hear it making funny clicking noises when you get close, also i can see sparks

mine does this, its the coilpack on mine, right at the top on the front of engine, you can actually hear it making funny clicking noises when you get close, also i can see sparks

You shouldnt see sparks. I would say either new leads or a new coilpack time

yeah, i'm just wondering which bit needs replacing, i should get a pic of the split i can see, not really looked properly yet as was on the way to work

Oh ok. I am sure someone more local to you wont mind doing a quick swap. Where are the sparks coming from? If you go to no-rice or something sometime I dont mind doing a quick coilpack swap its only a few bolts. Just need to get my car back on the road. At least a month before my car is ready to have its first proper outing!

If coilpack is original, it will be shot.

This results in arcing and misfiring in damp conditions or if coilpack gets splashed.