Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

cam pos sensor? where and how and how much

I got mine a couple of months back from VW for just shy of £40. It's really easy to get to, just behind the coilpack. Probably 6 screws tops!

went to the dealer and they were like oooo big job prob be hundreds, prob means chains have gone.

b****cks, just had them done ta! thats cool, will get done when get head done

attempted to hook my self up with a cam pos sensors at the stealers and was told that there are 2 on my engine, one is 80 quid the other 40?? didn't get either, went to newquay and drank instead. however how do i know which one has the fault so i don't get tucked up?????

I believe there is a CRANK Pos sensor & a CAM pos sensor (also know as hall sender). The Crank sensor is about £140 or so & the Cam sensor is onlyu about £40.

How do you know you have to replace this in the first place?

You know by plugging in VAG Com.

OR

If the crank position sensor is broken the engine won't start.

The cam position sensor will enable the engine to start but it will not have adaptive advance due to it not being able to diagnose No 1 TDC. Cam sensor is near the coil pack and about £40 as previously stated.

The lose of the cam position sensor results in the engine running retarded at 11 degrees, should only produce around 170bhp instead of the 190+ in this condition.

right cheers yan. the parts guy was as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike! pulse sensors were what he was bangin on about and he said that thir were 2?? anyone know the part number??

vince flagged it up when i had the car on the rollers, but said its only intermittent. i see this as sometimes it flies and other times it is slllloooooowwww. ta

right cheers yan. the parts guy was as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike! pulse sensors were what he was bangin on about and he said that thir were 2?? anyone know the part number??

vince flagged it up when i had the car on the rollers, but said its only intermittent. i see this as sometimes it flies and other times it is slllloooooowwww. ta

Sounds like the parts guy was talking about knock sensors, there are 2 fitted to the VR.

If one of the goes it will only go to a default setting for the cylinders that the knock sensor detects. Eg, the back knock sensor dies only those 3 cylinders will be retarded by 11 degrees.

VAG part number for the cam position sensor is 021 907 601A from chassis number P 009 0001 on (coilpack version of VR6 IIRC)

Pretty sure mine has the same problem (along with others), really need to get it VAG-com'd.

nice one! i'm chasing my mate in the quest for horse power.

his vr put out 221 brake naturally aspirated and does 14.7 1/4miles at the pod!!!

Whats the spec? Sounds impressive.

The CPS code can also be triggered by a bad CPS (cam position sensor) trigger wheel. The trigger wheel attatches to the cam gear and sends the signal to the CPS.

I had this happen to me after my cam install. I was getting a CPS code. Checked the timing and CPS sensor itself to no avail. A friend suggested the CPS trigger wheel...viola! That solved my problem.

I had this happen to me after my cam install. I was getting a CPS code. Checked the timing and CPS sensor itself to no avail. A friend suggested the CPS trigger wheel...viola! That solved my problem.

Yep - 9 times out of 10 they crack when swapping cam pulleys - thats why VW say to fit a new one...

nice one! i'm chasing my mate in the quest for horse power.

his vr put out 221 brake naturally aspirated and does 14.7 1/4miles at the pod!!!

Whats the spec? Sounds impressive.

amd chip, decatt stainless, cold air box, induction kit, water feed to throttle disconnected and rag the s**t out of it!