Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

15s to 17s - Handles differently! Advice needed...

I'm changin from 17 back to 15". My last Corrado had 15s and handled like a go kart where as my present valver with 17's is a bit suspect. In this thread there are comments about acceleration etc. What basically happens is the bigger the wheel, the more inertia it will possess. Eh?? Oh, the bigger the rim the more resistance to turning there is( is that why F1 cars still run 13" wi spongey tyrewalls for traction?, he asked..... ) By dropping the sidewall size, you are effectively stiffening the suspension too so the car will get harsher ride-wise. To agree with the majority...16" is the optimum size for ride/looks. For a total drivers car go 15" and for looks 17/18" (oh dear look at those little brake discs!!!)

Thanks for the advice guys...

cheesewire - Reduced the tyre pressures from 36 to 32 & 30, seems a little better.

Think I'm going to get a set of -60mm springs for it & get the alignment set up.

Won't be for about month though!

I'll do some measurements at the weekend - difference in the weights of the wheels, try & see the affect on the ride height etc

Cheers,

Andy.

It'll be like riding on square wheels if you drop it 60mm on non-coilover suspension with 17's.

Thanks for the advice guys...

cheesewire - Reduced the tyre pressures from 36 to 32 & 30, seems a little better.

Think I'm going to get a set of -60mm springs for it & get the alignment set up.

Won't be for about month though!

I'll do some measurements at the weekend - difference in the weights of the wheels, try & see the affect on the ride height etc

Cheers,

Andy.

I wouldn't recommend dropping it 60mm on non-coilover suspension with 17's - it'll be like riding on square wheels :)

Get the camber checked and get used to 17's basically, once the confidence is back its better on 17's apart from no comfort, prob go 50mm max for lowering and change the rear beam bushes that will definatly improve the snakey feel

Oh, the bigger the rim the more resistance to turning there is( is that why F1 cars still run 13" wi spongey tyrewalls for traction?, he asked..... )

The big spongey tyres F1 cars use is their suspension basically! :lol: And if you ever get the chance to feel an F1 tyre, you'll find they are far from spongey! They just look it.

The key to a successful transition to 17s is: A) the quality of your suspension B) the weight of the 17s (should be as light as possible) and C) tyre choice.

Get those right and you'll never go back to 15s ;-)

Fit some huge brembos or APs if you're worried how puny the discs will look :loL: