Sign in to follow this  
Jim

My productive weekend in Wiltshire..

This weekend I headed down to 2cc's lovely workshop down in Wiltshire along with Tempest and Supercharged. The mission was to replace rear axle bushes, fit new ball joints and replace rear wishbone bushes.

In the end some things didn't work out and some did. After completing the work and bleeding the brakes, we discovered my front driver side brake calliper was a bit buggered in that where the bleed nipple bolted in, the mating face on the inside of the caliper was worn so it was impossible to get a proper seal. By an enormous stroke of luck the very helpful bigpants baby lived very very locally and supplied me with a spare caliper which we fitted and which did the job nicely! :)

The wishbones we decided against tampering with because of concerns about some of the bolts flat out refusing to budge (and consequently breaking) so we just did the rear axle bushes and balljoints, full brake bleed (which was badly needed judging by the colour of the crap coming out of the system!), fitted a new rotor arm (as the old one was araldited on or something) and did an oil change too for good measure. Essentially my car had a weekend at the spa and it felt much better for it!

Thanks so much to the hospitality and hard work of 2cc and thanks to Supercharged and Tempest for the company in the car and the help with the work on the car too. It saved me a few hundred quid in labour at a garage and was a good laugh to boot.

Ready for bed though.. just been on the road for 5 hours or 230 miles and am flipping knackered!!

nice one, it`s always good getting stuff done to your car and not having to pay someone else to do it and you know its been done properly too and learning in the process!

i learnt my way round a g60 bottom end yesterday, removed pas pump, water pump, pistons and crankshaft pulley,

giving me a bit more confidence for doing my g60 brake upgrade

I was actually amazed at how comparatively easy it was fitting brakes. The guys had removed them all on the front but it was insisted that I should do some work so under Steve's guidance refitted the whole assembly on the front - discs, carriers, pads, calipers.. it really didn't take long and was actually surprisingly easy.

Was nice having a chance to regrease all the right areas too - all the non friction surfaces were done and the bit of squeaking I had on my brakes has vanished as a result! Bonus!

lol - no, sorry :(

The main aim of the game was to do the rear axle bushes and that write up has been done by 2cc in the past so.. :)

Yeah.. definately.

Still suffering from a 'wandering' front end after the work though to be honest I think I need to ditch my current tyres and replace the wishbones before I investigate what else could be causing it.

But its much better than it was AND stability and the 'planted' feeling at speed is MUCH better - so much better. The work was definately worth it.

Fitted a new rotor arm (as the old one was araldited on or something)

Er, whilst this was news to me I did note in the VW blue bibles that on 16v cars the rotor arm is suppossed to be stuck onto the dizzy.

You need to use AMV 185 100 01, although this appears to have been suspersedded by AMV 185 101 A1.

Glad you folks had a good time, shame about the wishbone bolts they do seize in nicely and although there is a repair procedure if something goes wrong I doubt you had the time.

Just out of interest Jim when was the last time your brake fluid was changed according to the service history?

Not sure mate. I didn't think to check the service history!

The brake fluid drained from the front wasn't toooo bad but the rears.. it really was quite disgusting stuff!

Not sure mate. I didn't think to check the service history!

The brake fluid drained from the front wasn't toooo bad but the rears.. it really was quite disgusting stuff!

Again VW specify around half a litre per corner in the following sequence rear right, rear left, front right, front left.

I will bet that a good few garages dont put 2 litres of brake fluid through your system when bleeding it!!

Sounds like a very productive day! You could've popped in and said hello- not far from Wilts :) Did you go down the M5?

I'll stick some pics up when I get home Jimbo... hope you got back in good time?

Yan - I had more trouble with the arm on his than on Tim's - it was alreldited all the way round, just pushed the new one on (tight fit so won't come free!) - Jim shat him self when the car didn't start this morning (Yup, I left the hall sender unplugged :lol:)

Brake fluid looked like cocacola and yeah over a litre was needed inc doing the clutch but as you say VW specify 2 (I think this is to make sure the stuff in the ABS unit is clean..)

I will email you tomorrrow about a couple of 'interesting' things we found probably done by a certain garage in the past!

Brake fluid looked like cocacola and yeah over a litre was needed inc doing the clutch but as you say VW specify 2 (I think this is to make sure the stuff in the ABS unit is clean..)

No, that quantity of fluid is listed for the non-ABS models - didn't even look at the ABS section. The pipes themselves don't hold that much fluid but I suppose the ideal is that you flush the contaminates from the pipe too. The only way to ensure that is to stick 2 litres through the system, no harm is doing 3 as far as I am concerned (except for a sore leg!)

I am away at Pretwick tomorrow to recover a bird strike so don't know I am due back but will look forward to the pics..

So where's this 'How To' for changing the rear axle bushes? Dont you need a pressto do this??

Did you notice any difference from changing the ball joints as i am going to do mine soon?

Good to hear forum members getting together to help each other and cutting costs. It should be done more often, that way we save money and meet each other.

So where's this 'How To' for changing the rear axle bushes? Dont you need a pressto do this??

Did you notice any difference from changing the ball joints as i am going to do mine soon?

It's in the Knowledge Base, did it back in July 2005.

Linkage : Rear Beam

Nick only provides the food it is always up to 2cc and me to do the work. (Although my current home is a bit of a distance for the odd job)

It's in the Knowledge Base, did it back in July 2005.

Linkage : Rear Beam

Cheers mate :)

Good to hear forum members getting together to help each other and cutting costs. It should be done more often, that way we save money and meet each other.

Yeah i think its great, Karl (KADVR6) has offered to help me fit a supercharger on my vr (when i get one!) because he believes its better for me to do it with his help so i understand what does what and goes where. He's a top bloke and its good to know there are more guys like it on the forum :D

We didn't need a press to get the old ones out. They were so knackered, we simply stuck a drill around the rubber bit of the bush and drilled that out then I sat and hacksawed the remaining metal part of the bush out.

2cc had borrowed the official VAG bush press tool to refit mine but the dealership had previously lent the kit to an other dealers who had busted it.. but using some bits of the kit, and some bits of his own stuff, 2cc was able to assemble a bush press tool which worked a charm for putting the new ones back in. He's a smart cookie!

Got back about 8:25pm Steve.. flipping knackered. Sitting at my desk in the office this morning and I feel like death.. wish I wasn't in work today! :( And its definately more than a 50 mile detour going to Cambs! You need some new route mapping software :) The drive down was approx 100 miles and when we came back my total mileage for the entire trip was 330... so well over a hundred miles more!

lol - join the club with Eric - he left his coat in my car!

Are you due near Stealth again at any point or anything mate? Or is Haywire? Could chuck em at him or something to take back then at least they're closer to your home!

Was a good weekend indeed.

Right, who's up for doing my coilies then next weekend? :lol: Don't really need anyone for that, but as we all once again discovered, it's just sooooo much simpler to not constantly have to run around looking for tools, when you can just shout from underneath the car what tools you need, and there's someone to hand them to you :lol:

Seriously considering doing my rear axle beam bushes now that I've got the old suspension out anyway.

Tempest

If I have a free day on the weekend i'll be up for it! Let me know when you are planning to do it and i'll see if i'm free :)

Sorry I couldn't get your coat to you today Eric.. will try and find a time in the week as i'm assuming you have a spare! Alternatively you can drop by my work in the works van if you get a chance?

Whilst on the subject of bleeding brakes; I changed my rear beam bushes but couldn't get the frigging brakes to bleed properly afterwards. I get a nice solid pedal until i start the car and it goes soft. I have bled them 4-5times (including nipple in engine pay) with an Ezee bleed kit and am no-longer getting any air bubbles, but the pedal wont change. I think I also tried with the engine on, but no luck, any suggestions?

We never even started the engine whilst doing the bleeding so you shouldn't need to do that.

Stupid question but after you've finished the bleeding started the car have you pumped the pedal a few times? You will need to do that to get the brakes into their proper position..

Yeah I have been driving the car with a relatively soft pedal for a while now, the brakes work as they should but only after pressing the pedal a 1/4 of the way down does it actually do anything. If you push the brake its solid, then start the engine it immediately sinks about an inch before there is any pressure.

Also, i am changing the pads within the next fortnight so will re-visit the pressure situation then. I might just take it to a garage for a pressure bleed.