Sign in to follow this  
corozin

Toyo R888's - an owner's view

how do you recommend doing that? just not going mad to start with?

It's more a question of putting a few heat cycles into them John.

Tyres like this would really appeal if / when I finally get some 16" Speedlines (you can get these in 16" apparently having googled around) now that I'm going to be doing

Tyres like this would really appeal if / when I finally get some 16" Speedlines (you can get these in 16" apparently having googled around) now that I'm going to be doing

You can get these in 16" but not in many sizes. Last time I checked they did not do 205/45 R16 :(

Review update.

After three years running R888's I have to admit that the constant worry associated with checking the tread depth and needing to replace worn tyres every 4-5 months (and every time after a trackday) is really starting to wear me down . I've also had 3 punctures in 3 years.

I get the feeling I might swap to T1-Rs at the next change just to have a rest ! Would be nice to get more than 4,000 miles out of some tyres for a change...

how many miles do you do a year john?

Typically I cover around 12,000-15,000 miles per year but in 2007 it was off the road for 5 months and in 2008 it was off the road for almost 4 months while it was having engine stuff done to it.

My point was that this is a high maintenance tyre. You have to keep a careful eye on the the tread depth of R888's continuously - sometimes even after just a single bit of "sprited" driving. They also wear faster in the summer due to the warmer tarmac. After three years I'm just starting to tire (pun intended) of it all.

With some T1-R's I would sacrifice the extreme performance of the R888 but it would be nice just to put some boots on it & largely forget about them for 6-10 months!

You'll realise what I mean if you start using the R888s :)

Typically I cover around 12,000-15,000 miles per year but in 2007 it was off the road for 5 months and in 2008 it was off the road for almost 4 months while it was having engine stuff done to it.

My point was that this is a high maintenance tyre. You have to keep a careful eye on the the tread depth of R888's continuously - sometimes even after just a single bit of "sprited" driving. They also wear faster in the summer due to the warmer tarmac. After three years I'm just starting to tire (pun intended) of it all.

With some T1-R's I would sacrifice the extreme performance of the R888 but it would be nice just to put some boots on it & largely forget about them for 6-10 months!

I've bought some spare wheels so I can run them when I choose and don't have to run them all the time plus I can get some winter tires on the other wheels! :)

yep, got you. thats really why i'm having them on a second set of wheels too like CTW just in case of emergencies but cheers, I'll pay attention to it!