Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

Chassis floor paint/sealant/wax

I've lifted the carpets as overhauling my g60 at the moment - and the sealant/wax/paint VW put over the chassis floor has dried in places and is starting to crack. I want to chip/sand those areas away and reseal/paint. I'm referring to the black looking waxy paint - its almost like tar - and in places quite thick. Does anyone know what stuff is used? Imagining some of the guys who have totally stripped their cars might know.

Thanks

I am planning to do abit of maintenance on mine.

When the old stuff has been removed I plan to repaint ans bare metal with a zinc primer, then any seals between metal will be brushed with seam sealer, then the whole lot will be sprayed over or waxoyled.

You can get most of the stuff from a well stocked Halfords or a decent motor factors.

_leon_, If it's the same stuff they used in their Air-cooleds then good luck! Even after 30+ years the stuff never sets fully and can be a real PITA to remove properly... You'll end up with rags soaked in Thinners all over the floor...

This stuff has a two part job, first is "waterproofing" but the second is sound deadening, so if you do stip it all off and go the Hammerite route, remember to put some Dynamat (similar) on the floor pans/ Tunnel etc.. Otherwise it'll be loud!

cool. i'm not taking all of it off - just around the cracked parts to ensure a good seal. i think merely sanding it back slightly and then a coating of red oxide primer and another of hammerite with waxoyl/sealant should do the job. gwerks have recommended a wurth product to use - so i'll see how it goes.

thanks for the help :)

as far as i know the stuff used on the bottom of vw's is shultz or tetra shultz, they do one which stays sticky and cant be painted over and one that is like the original stuff which sets semi hard and can be painted over, most decent car parts places should stock it, it is very messy and its best applied with a shultz gun on a compressor, we had to use very large quantities of thinners to remove it from the under side of my friends 62 splitty and then used a very high temperature steam cleaner which got rid of most of it.

hi mate

coolrado is right its schultz or stnechip thats on there, its of a rubbery consistency. you can buy it in the can but its bad, you need a shultz gun (15) 1 tin of "gravi tex" or similar (10) and a small compressor to put it on with, it will go on the same as the oe stuff if you get black it will save painting it after.

jimmi....