Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Anyone know much about Peugeot turbo diesels? I need help!!

Quick bit of history on the car....

Had a replacement engine (40k miler from a breakers yard) in May last year when one of the swirl pot fell out of the head into the cylinder and wrote the engine off. Also knackered the turbo, although that didn't get replaced until end of June with a second hand one. Furthermore there is an oil leak from somewhere around the back of the engine as well.

Got a bit of a problem with the 306. The bugger struggled like hell to start this morning. It runed over but sounded like there was some resistance to turning if you get what I mean. I took 4 minutes of turning the ignition off then on to warm the glow plugs then cranking, but eventually caught. Once it did it was really lumpy and loads of blue smoke and black soot all ovr the floor under the exhaust. Its been getting steadily worse over the last two weeks or so.

Would I be right in thinking that the glow plugs might be buggered? Not sure if this is the case as if the breakers yeard were not telling porky pies the glow plugs wouldn't be that old. I'm a little concerned because of the blue smoke rather than black, and was wondering if it could be oil getting into the cylinders and possibly hydraulicing(sp?)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got one, but don't know a huge amount about them. What I do know though, is when I bought mine it wouldn't start, even after continual cranking, it still wouldn't go. The garage replaced the glow plugs & it has started fine ever since, and that was 2 years ago now.

Glow plugs made a hugh difference to our old 405 too. Three of them were easy to replace, but the forth was a real g1t to get to. Installation might be different on a 306 though, so may be easier.

Also on ours, the head went at 90K, but only leaked oil to the outside. Messy, but easily (expensively) repaired.

Best of luck

Phil

Cheers guys. I'm totally useless at the 306. Tis not German so feel sick when I work on it :lol:

Just ordered 4 new glow plugs from GSF - £30 inc postage :)

Had a browse on a diesel forum and it could also be the glow plug relay, but have decided to do the glow plugs first, as it has just been getting steadily worse, and was definately worse this morning, being a bit chillier!

I have a very similar problem with my 405.....takes a few goes heating up the glowplugs before it will start.....and general unhappyness starting from cold!

Changed the glowplugs first (one of the most awkward and painstaking car jobs I've ever done, you need hands the size of a 3yr old to access the things!). Didn't really help very much in getitng it started though.

I was thinking it may be the relay/timer, but I checked it the other day with a multimeter and the glowplugs are getting power for the correct amount of time.

Propblem with mine seems to be that the glowplugs are only getting 8v! So that would probably explain their general uselessness! Will have to investigate further this weekend when I'm fitting a new starter motor to it (also a pig of a job) :roll:

Dec, I think we may have the same engines, are the glow plugs on the front edge of the head? Right underneath my bloody intercooler!!

Yup....sounds the same!

Intercooler + a load of breather pipes have to come off to get any sort of access to the plugs!.....and it's still a real pain to get at them with all this stuff removed!

the plug right in behind the fuel pump assembly is by far the worst of them!

mrbeige, it sounds like a glow plug job tbh, although the good news is that if it still starts without them (eventually) it sounds like your compression is good!

It's an absolute swine of a job to do on most diesels, but the best advice I can give is that once you've cracked off the initial resistance in the plug with a spanner, use a long handled screwdriver to coax it around anticlockwise until it comes out. Saves on the knuckle skin. I'd also invest in one of those extendable magnetic pick up tools, one of the best quids I ever spent!

Good luck....

Tom

I'd also invest in one of those extendable magnetic pick up tools, one of the best quids I ever spent!

Yeah alomst essential when doing the plugs on the Pug...I dropped loads of bolts and washers down gaps in the engine, when trying to get the things back onto the plugs! :roll:

theres also a control module for the glow plugs, its down by the battery if I remember correctly. that went on mine

I'd also invest in one of those extendable magnetic pick up tools, one of the best quids I ever spent!

Yeah alomst essential when doing the plugs on the Pug...I dropped loads of bolts and washers down gaps in the engine, when trying to get the things back onto the plugs! :roll:

Got one of them! 8)

theres also a control module for the glow plugs, its down by the battery if I remember correctly. that went on mine

Hmmm, i'll check that out as well! I'm assuming that that has the relay and timer fro the glow plugs in it?

yep, thats the one!....takes a few seconds to check if its working properly with a multimeter!

Just make sure that the plugs are getting power until the glowplug light on the dash goes out and then for a few seconds afterwards. alternatively, you can hear the relay click when it switches the plugs off, so just make sure it doesn't click too quickly after the ignition has been turned to position II :wink:

mrbeige, my 306 used to struggle to start from cold. It would take a while to fire up, and when it did, it would splutter and smoke for about 10seconds. Never did it when warm though. I replaced glow plugs, and it cured it.

Another thing to look out for is if there's air in the fuel. Before you turn it over, try priming the fuel (pump the big rubber balloon thing on the fuel line on the drivers side of the engine for about 5-10 seconds). If it starts straight away after doing this, then there's definitely air in the fuel, and it will need bleeding..

Let us know how you get on. My step dad is a Citroen mechanic (same engines as peugeot), so should be able to advise.

Hence why my daily driver isn't a VW. I can get spares and servicing done for next to nothing!

yep, thats the one!....takes a few seconds to check if its working properly with a multimeter!

Just make sure that the plugs are getting power until the glowplug light on the dash goes out and then for a few seconds afterwards. alternatively, you can hear the relay click when it switches the plugs off, so just make sure it doesn't click too quickly after the ignition has been turned to position II :wink:

Just been out and checked the voltage to the glow plugs. 11.9V whilst the glowplug light is on and also for about 5 or 6 seconds afterwards. Started ok then, although it hasn't been sat over night, but was still a bit spluttery for about 5-10 seconds.

I'll fit the new ones and see how I get on. They should be here tomorrow, so I'll get them in at the weekend.

mrbeige, my 306 used to struggle to start from cold. It would take a while to fire up, and when it did, it would splutter and smoke for about 10seconds. Never did it when warm though. I replaced glow plugs, and it cured it.

Another thing to look out for is if there's air in the fuel. Before you turn it over, try priming the fuel (pump the big rubber balloon thing on the fuel line on the drivers side of the engine for about 5-10 seconds). If it starts straight away after doing this, then there's definitely air in the fuel, and it will need bleeding..

Let us know how you get on. My step dad is a Citroen mechanic (same engines as peugeot), so should be able to advise.

Hence why my daily driver isn't a VW. I can get spares and servicing done for next to nothing!

Cool cheers dude. It does sound like it it the glow plugs now, which is quite pleasing.

Should I try priming the pump tomorrow morning before I try and turn it over then anyway?

No harm in trying it mate... Reading through your symptoms again, i'd be sure it was the glow plugs though...

If there is air in the fuel, it will have problems starting once the car has been left for an hour or so. It doesn't have to be cold...

Steve

Deffo glow plugs.

Just done them on my 1.9 TD 306. 3 out of the 4 open circuit. Exactly the same symptoms

The worst one to change is the one that sits right behind the fuel pump. You'll need to take ic off though. be careful with the i/c hasket on the side - as soon as it pops out its almost impossible to get back in without cutting it.

Deffo glow plugs.

Just done them on my 1.9 TD 306. 3 out of the 4 open circuit. Exactly the same symptoms

Just lift off the connections to work out which ones are duff

The worst one to change is the one that sits right behind the fuel pump. You'll need to take ic off though. be careful with the i/c hasket on the side - as soon as it pops out its almost impossible to get back in without cutting it.

I understand there can be problems with corrosion around the glow plug control relays, which results in them sometimes working, sometimes not working ..

(Mate of mine had the same problem.)