Sign in to follow this  
Lovinit

Drinks like a fish..i think

Does your raddo drink water? I got a 92 G60..and it seems like i'm filling it up with water quite a lot! i usually get the flashing red light on inside the car, and i check the bottle and its empty..so i fill it! I've checked for leaks in the pipes and radiators..i never see anything on the ground after or when i park etc..

So is it common to fill it up every month and a half or so?

i can understand topping up, but it always seems empty...

J x

First thing I would concider next is head gasket leaking.

have you checked to see if you're getting any steam/water coming out of your exhaust when the car is running and is warmed up?

Also check if there is an mayonaise type gunk under the oil filler cap.

Your car shouldn't use any water, i've never had to top any of mine up ( apart from when the head gasket went )

Do your windows steam up when the car's left? - it could be the heater matrix maybe?

My 16v leaks a small amount of water from a plastic flange on the end of the cylinder head, above the gearbox, meaning I have to add about two litres per month. If you have coolant in the system you should be able to spot any small-ish leaks as they'll probably leave crystalised coolant residue behind. Mine doesn't leak enough to ever leave a puddle on the floor.

Thinking about it, I should really get 'round to fixing that leak...

i've not seen any signs of steam from the exhaust..or any white gunk! the glass does get steamy a lot when i'm not in it..whats involved with fixing the heater matrix? i do get a whirring sound some timeswhen i turn the heater on...could this be linked??

i'll also recheck the pipes too.. prob is i'm rubbish at spotting this stuff.. so used to driving air-cooled cars.. hehe

james