G60 vs MR2

Has anybody had experience with both a VW corrado G60 and a Toyota MR2

2.0 GTi 16v, and if so can they give an honest opinion of which they

preferred and why, or even what was better about each.... I obviously

know that the corrado is more practical for boot space, passengers

etc, but I want to know the non obvious stuff - which, if you were

buying a car for use in the UK 10,000 miles a year, you would buy? (

the two in mind are the same price, corrado one year older than toyota

- both in good nick and both drive superbly) I'm stumped....

I am- before you point it out - aware that this is a corrado forum so everyone here obviously likes corrados a lot, so please only answer if you're prepared to be objective or have had both cars. (have posted same with an MR2 forum, will be interesting to see the differences in replies!!)

also - keep a lid on any "gay car" comments on the toyota, it's for my girlfriend! :wink:

Thanks!

if its for your girlfriend i'd let her decide. the result of that will come down to looks (i assume), as both cars are fast... the MR2 probably has the potential for higher horsepower on the stock motor... she probably isn't too concerned with it being crazy fast... as long as its fast, and both cars are. so it will probably be whichever she likes best for looks.

MR2 is a total chick car.. so if its for her go for it. and if you think she may abuse or neglect the vehicle... go with the MR2. (i hate to see abused corrados)

hm.. dont think its the same over here. see a lot of mr2s.. not many corrados and corrado parts are $$$$.

I dunno if they ever sorted it out in the handling stakes, (I only drove a couple when they first came out) but the MKII MR2 was a lot more tail happy than the MKI and had a very nasty habbit of very suddenly snapping to extreme over-steer if the driver was going a little too fast into a corner and let off the gas... :shock: Not something I'd wish on any girl of mine to experience... :? I saw a couple of these in a right state off the same road I crashed my first 'rado on a few months before my little outing, and it put me right off 'em... :shock: :?

The 'rado, on the other hand, has pretty nice neutral handling with a slight understeer tendancy which is predictable and easy to get around... 8) (unless there's diesel on the road, in which case you're screwed in either case! :roll: :lol: )

I know that experienced drivers love the MR2 for it's arse out stance (I would too! :lol: ) and I have no idea how good or bad your girl's driving is, but it's something I feel you really should take into account and add into the decision... However, if she's just gonna pootle around and pose in the car then most of this is pretty irrelevant... 8)

for my first post I must say without question a

CORRADO but with your purchase comes a great deal of responsibility to maintain your Corrado to the highest standards or else pay dearly with high dollar maintenance issues. I easily pay twice what the average car owner pays in maintenance a year. 1 because its a VW 2 because its a rare VW 3 because everything on these cars is a** backwards compared to American cars.

good luck anyway :evil:

Valid comparisson to a Corrado :?: I THINK NOT :!: :!:

everything on these cars is a** backwards compared to American cars.

good luck anyway :evil:

you might say that mate but at the end of the day all american cars are Sh*t!! some of em are very quick in straight lines but give em a corner and they wanna go straight on! its all that jelly or 'jello' that they put in instead of suspension!!!

american cars are really not worthy of being used as a comparable example cos i have driven plenty of 'Yank Tanks' as i have lived there, my parents still live there...... and thats why they bought a Jag!!!!!!!! 8)

corners are where all the fun is in driving so i would pick a Corrado anytime cos as Henny said its got predicatable understeer which is easily controlable.

the MR2 on the other hand: being a mid engined car balance should be pretty good but you have to worry about your girl putting herself in hospital if she has a heavy foot but not a lot of skill..... especially if you have plans to increase the power! all RWD cars are like that! if you do decide to get the MR get one with traction control (if they do them) just for your piece of mind when the missus is driving!

you might say that mate but at the end of the day all american cars are Sh*t!!

Oi, less of the sweeping statements if you don't mind, I happen to like American cars!

Shelby Cobra, Ford GT40 (new and old), the new Viper, Ford Mustang (new and old) etc. All classics and they do handle.

Lets not tar Chevy Novas, Buicks, Cadillacs and Dodge Rams with the same brush please.

Historically the Americans have not needed to develop high performance suspension systems as the majority of their roads are straight and most people preferred a comfy ride. But these days they've been listening to criticsm and are now producing some good cars that handle well.

Kev

i agree with henny my mum has a mr2 20 16v and it's on a g-plate the first time i drove it i had sideways with my mum in it :shock: very tail happy but after 93 they supposedly sorted it out, the thing is the MR2 was supposed to be 4 inches wider to cope with the high mounting of the engine but it never worked out like that hence there reputation they have if it were my money a g60 but if it is a post 93 car it might be a bit better. i was in the same situation and it just happend that mum ended up with an MR2 and i drove it and went and bought a VR6. by the way MR2 are'nt that slow either :D hope that helps oh and they are'nt cheap to service either 200 quid for main compared to my 130 quid 20000 mile service.

Kev,

granted it is a bit of a sweeping generalisation but at the same time you have to admit that you can't compare an American car to a European car in the first place..... would you say our cars are 'ar*e backwards' compared to thiers?? :?

you do have a valid point mate about the classics but i think that you will find that the 'Cobra' was the creation of the AC motor company here in the UK but Shelby put a great 7.5 litre lump under the bonnet which admittedly gave it the extra grunt that its famous for. :D

have a look at this from a book called: ‘AC Cobra The Truth Behind The Anglo-American Legend’:

‘The legendary AC Cobra is one of the world's ultimate no-compromise sports cars. Originally derived from the AC Ace, the brutal Cobra was the result of Carroll Shelby's dream to combine British chassis expertise with the easily available power of a large-capacity American V8 engine’.

Just a useless fact that I know…….as a direct result of someone doing 175mph down the M1 in an AC Cobra is why we have speed limits on our motorways today!! fair do's :(

again the Ford GT40 is a great car but its primarily BRITISH with an American engine & badge! Have a look at this from FORD of Britain, Public Affairs Staff PRESS RELEASE - 13th January, 1966

‘In order to get into the business of racing with minimum delay, a subsidiary company called Ford Advanced Vehicles was set up at Slough in England under the Managing Directorship of John Wyer, well known for his long and successful association with Aston Martin, who won the Manufacturers Championship in 1959 including victory in the Le Mans 24 hour race. In order to reduce time spent on design and development the two 1962 Lola GT cars, into which Eric Broadley had fitted V8 Ford engines, were purchased together with retention of the whole time services of Broadley himself during this introductory period of 1963/64.’………….

‘In brief, the main steel body pressing comes as a hull from Abbey Panels Ltd of Coventry. The nose, tail and door sections are derived from Fibre Glass Engineering Ltd of Farnharn, and when they have been brought together to form a complete shell the whole car is upholstered, trimmed and painted by the well-known coach builders Harold Radford, who also fit up the Marchal lights imported from France’.

As well as John Wyer there was this lot:

Roy Lunn

Roy Lunn was in the Design Office of Aston Martin in 1949/50, after which he became Chief Engineer at Jowett, and then joined Ford at Dagenham from where he transferred to Dearborn in the Research Division.

P Murphy - Works Manager

Apprentice toolmaker at Seimens Bros of Woolwich.

L. Bailey - Chief Engineer

Engineering apprentice at Austin Motor Co. Development Engineer in E R A. Engine Designer at Daimler and Rover. Engine and Chassis designer at Austin. Chassis designer at Ford of Canada. Engine and Chassis designer at American Motors. Chassis designer at Ford of USA.

J Horsman - Executive Assistant to Managing Director

M.A. (Cantab). Pupil apprentice David Brown & Sons. Development Engineer and Assistant to General Manager, Aston Martin Lagonda.

So it was a lot of Lola design fundamentals, which are again British but I’m not being funny and trying to wind anyone up but i think with that design team this is quite British??

i wasn't really comparing NJVRado's statement to the so called Buick’s & Cadillac’s let alone Trucks like the Dodge Ram! that would be like comparing a Corrado to a Milk float, there is no comparison between them.

the sorts of cars that i was talking about were not the all time classics like your mustangs..... which i might add never did and still dont do corners unless possibly you get a Saleen Mustang (thats a statement from one of my dads mates who has owned bot the C & the M) but i was referring to the sort of every day drivers cars that are supposed to be sports models: Pontiac Grand Am/Grand Prix GT, Ford Mustangs, Pontiac Firebird, Chevrolet Camaro etc..

the only really great cars that the Americans have made recently are the new GT40 and the Chevrolet Corvett!

Sorry mate but as much as you put up a valliant effort to contradict me its important to know the facts first! :wink:

Hi,

Both are very good cars mate - i think your girl freind will probably sway to the MR2 as the Corrado is more of an aquired taste looks wise But who knows she may have Vdubs in her blood but my girl freind prefers the MR2 to my Rado.

Ive driven both MR2 turbo and non turbo pre and post 94 cars as ive started to import them with a freind (only on the side at the moment )- the 94 cars are fare better setup as the handling of the pre 94 is almost quite scary- they give you no idea of when the back is going to step out :? and be sure to be wearing your rubber pants when they do so, they all sofeel very light at high speeds ( not that you lot would ever drive a car above the speed limit :twisted: ) make sure if she is after an MR2 get the late spec car.

If any of you guys are after more info on the MR2 let me know or if you are looking to source these cars drop me a pm as i am cuyrrently sourcing them direct from Japan. i have two toyota mechanics working for me out there inspecting the cars for me. And every car that comes through is of the highest spec grade 4 and comes complete with warranty and full preperation I currently have 1 in stock at the moment and 4 others on their way all are turbo's though.

like mentioned, if its for your girl and she tends to put her foot down, i'd say go with the C.. how would you feel if she ended up losing the ass on the mr2 and ended up around a pole? we get worse weather here than you do over there (we just got like 6 inches of snow in the 1st snowfall of the year last night!! :shock: ) but i wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my girl was out in a powerful RWD car with a tendancy to get loose in snow, or even the rain. my 2 cents. (notice the creator of this thread has only posted once? think he's even reading this?? :lol: )

now... onto the american cars debate.

i currently own 5 cars. '90 G60, '92 Buick Regal (Mom's old beater I keep around because it has a 3.8L six..i've shown nice merc's where its at in that car :twisted: ), two '89 chev cavalier beaters, and an '86 "Merkur" XR4Ti.

the corrado is hands down the most fun, as we all know.

the cavaliers are light (i have 4-cylinder engines in both) little cars, and handle reasonably... they are good reliable cars to boot around town in. i paid $240 for my most recent one... and i've spent about $40 on maintenance in the past year. brake pads, oil, spark plugs, wires, done all that and i don't even have $300 in the car yet (incl purchase). now that says something. on the other hand. if you treat it like crap you can split a chev 4-banger head in two like butter. ask me how i know.

the buick is a cruiser. like mentioned... a lot of american's like their big cruisers with big engines and comfy bench seating. it serves its purpose... its meant for old people. can it handle? lol :lol:

the XR4Ti i won't get into much because i'll type all day.. but its essentially the same car as a Ford Sierra Cosworth.. built at Karmann too. i doubt many people will tell you a cossie is a shite car that doesnt handle. but again, it has strong european ties. the 2.3L turbo is a nice engine.. and its all north american (built in brazil though).

bottom line.. there are SOME nice american cars... i'd drop everything for a '67 mustang... not to mention a '67 GT500 shelby.

vipers are nice cars sure... handling? no. corrado's beat vipers at the track with less then half the HP.

"Pontiac Grand Am/Grand Prix GT, Ford Mustangs, Pontiac Firebird, Chevrolet Camaro etc"

all crap imo.. the new ones anyway. grand am/grand prix are just fugly, and i don't think they put the GTP setup in them anymore... those supercharged GTPs are a FUN car (in a straight line). old camaros, firebirds, mustangs, trans ams... all nice cars. the new ones i can do without. they've stopped making camaros and firebirds/trans ams now (good to quit before they get any worse i say).

keep in mind... my buddy's '72 trans am will pull a full G on the skid pad ;)

american cars have their place. its called the seventies. when displacement was king and gas was cheap. ever since then, 99% of the crap to come out of american car companies has been either knocked-off or poorly executed, or both..

Kev,

granted it is a bit of a sweeping generalisation but at the same time you have to admit that you can't compare an American car to a European car in the first place..... would you say our cars are 'ar*e backwards' compared to thiers?? :?

Sorry mate but as much as you put up a valliant effort to contradict me its important to know the facts first! :wink:

Touche :lol:

I had forgotten about the ghastly Chrysler Neon and equally inept PT Cruiser before engaging my mouth!

Kev

Kev,

hope i havn't pi**ed you off mate cos that wasn't the intention! i am just a stubborn git if i have a strong opinion about something.... proud to be british! i can totally see your point of view too..... who would say no to a Shelby GT500 for instance! not me! :wink:

Kev,

hope i havn't pi**ed you off mate cos that wasn't the intention! i am just a stubborn git if i have a strong opinion about something.... proud to be british! i can totally see your point of view too..... who would say no to a Shelby GT500 for instance! not me! :wink:

Not at all, I don't profess to be right all the time! I can take criticism and corrections aswell as giving them :lol:

Is the Shelby GT500 the one in 'Gone in 60 seconds' ? If so, then yeah definitely! I really like the old red/white 60s mustang drop top, the same car James Dean drove I believe? Georgeous..... doesn't matter if it handles like a skip on ice when it looks that good :lol:

Is the Shelby GT500 the one in 'Gone in 60 seconds' ? If so, then yeah definitely! I really like the old red/white 60s mustang drop top, the same car James Dean drove I believe? Georgeous..... doesn't matter if it handles like a skip on ice when it looks that good :lol:

yep the GT500 is the one in Gone in 60 Seconds! :D :D the classic mustangs look great i have to agree but i prefer the slightly later 60's ones that looked and were beefy (Pure American Muscle) before they messed them all up in the 70's and went far too overboard! :roll: its all been a bit downhill from there..... with as you said a few exceptions lately! :wink:

you do have a valid point mate about the classics but i think that you will find that the 'Cobra' was the creation of the AC motor company here in the UK but Shelby put a great 7.5 litre lump under the bonnet which admittedly gave it the extra grunt that its famous for. :D

427 cubic inch Chevvy V8 with twin Paxton Superchargers - totally awesome car.

This has to be the greatest car ever made - far better performer than the 289 cubic inch (pussie's) version !!

One day I will own one of these.. 8) 8)

427 cubic inch Chevvy V8 with twin Paxton Superchargers - totally awesome car.

This has to be the greatest car ever made - far better performer than the 289 cubic inch (pussie's) version !!

LOL, so eloquantly put :lol:

Kev