Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Fuel consumption goes up on idle?

Was sitting in traffic today and I noticed that my mpg fell badly when sitting still. I reset the MFA and was getting about 30mpg whilst driving along, but then when I stopped it dropped down to about 19mpg.

What the hell is going on? HELP PLEASE!

The car is still running, but you're not going anywhere, hence the low mpg. Perfectly normal. I remember getting stuck in traffic after a Hammers game a while ago and my C was showing 8 mpg after an hour!

Because you are using fuel and not moving so your average MPG falls, it isn't an instantaneous readout. The figure provided by the MFA isn't based on actual fuel used; it uses distance, revs and manifold depression against a table of values.

Ahh, so its not a problem then? That's a bloody relief. It started to freak me out a bit, cos on my old car {astra gsi - the shame:(} when you sat in traffic it went up, so you could get about 60 mpg. I would have thought that would have been the more logical way? But then I have no common sense lol.

That's a Vauxhall for you :lol: Nah, if the car is idling, it's still using petrol, but going nowhere, so not putting any miles on the clock, yet still using fuel. = low miles per gallon.

That's a Vauxhall for you :lol: Nah, if the car is idling, it's still using petrol, but going nowhere, so not putting any miles on the clock, yet still using fuel. = low miles per gallon.

You said it. Pile of poo. So glad I got the fekker crushed, it had sooo many problems with it by the end... though the final straw was when it didn't go round a bend properly and I ended up caning the front nearside wheel and bending various things. The only good thing about the car was the metallic blue paintwork and even that got scraped to buggery by some toerags in a carpark.

What engine is it?? G60's are awful at Idle as you are driving the G-unit...

:lol: :lol: G-unit, that's quality, got Fiddy Cent under my bonnet. Westside is da best.

Nah its a 1.8 16v.

The Vauxhall's mpg-ometer was presumably just using inlet manifold vacuum as a guide to the economy of the car. The Corrado is using fuel-put-in/distance-travelled .. which is obviously much more accurate.