Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

Electrical problem.

Hi Guys

My car's battery drain completely flat after about 5 days without driving. So last week i had my battery checked at a battery centre. They kept the battery there for 4 days and it turned out that the battery is fine.

So last night i checked for a AMP drainage over the negative terminal. The amp meter tells me there is a constant 0.098-0.101 amp draw. Now my question is, is this amount of amp draw normal or is it too high? In what region should it be?

Thnks Guys

Hugo

Have you got am alarm? sounds about right that an alarm and radio memory could drain that much over a week,mine does this as well.

If not,i would put your amp meter back on and pull out one fuse at a time to eliminate each circut,also disconect the alternator as the diodes can screw up and draw current back into the alternator.

Hope that helps boet!

check that your boot light isnt stuck on , mine did this some time ago and i changed the battery which then went flat again and was about to kick off with the company who supplied the battery when i realised the light was on :oops:

Set the meter up so you can see the display in the car, then pull a fuse at a time until you find the circuit that's causing the issue.

My car used to kill the battery after about four days with no use. It turned out to be the power capacitor hooked up to the subwoofer amplifier. Obvious really, but a complete oversight. After disconnecting that, the car will start after being left for two weeks.

So the results are.......

Instrument cluster uses: 0.005amps (normal)

Electric windows uses: 0.094 amps (Not normal)

I'm gonna need a some advice as to where i should start looking for this constant power drain from the electric windows.....

The windows does not seem to get the power from the ignition, so i would like to hear your thoughts about this aswell. Is it normal for the windows to work without having to switch the ignition on? My car has been like this since i can remember....

Also, where can i start looking for this constant drain caused by the elec windows.? I know there is a control module thingybob in the rear right quarter panel. I would assume this is where the relays and stuff is located.

.1 of an amp is fine. alarms should be no more then .050 so that leaves .05 for the rest. quite good. divide your ahr capacity by the currant drain and you have how many hours your battery will last. i can leave my car for about 6 weeks without the battery going flat

Hi exturbo2003

There is no alarm in the car.

I tested everything and the only 2 things that uses constant power is the instrument cluster and the electric windows.

The instrument cluster is normal, but an almost constant drain of 0.1A from the electric windows is definately not normal..... :shock:

Yes i do.

But only the factory unit. I don't have remote entrance. The central locking does not drain any power though. It's the electric windows that is the problem.

Hi Mattkh

No i haven't done this yet. I'm going to do it tonight to see what the outcome is. Will keep you guys updated on the outcome.

Thnks

Ok the problem is still there.

I stripped the back quarter panel to get to the control unit. I checked everything and all connections seems in a good state.

What else can it be?

I would have taken my car to an auto electrician, but i don't like other people working on my car so i always try and repair as much as possible myself.

Please help me out here guys.