Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

02S 6 speed box...

Not sure if anyone else has spotted the artical in this months PVW but apparently the new 02S 6 Spd gearboxs found in Mk5 Golfs and Touran TDIs will bolt straight into place onto cable change box cars...? ( Rado G60s etc )

Very tempting i must say.. :D

There are 2 variations of the 02S gearbox resulting in different ratios,

One box has close ratios (Mk5 Golf fsi - GLB) and the Touran TDi box (FYG) has similar ratios to an 8v GTi... now i am not entirely sure what this means at the moment in terms of which one would work better with our rados but its something definatley worth thinking about as a cheap 6 Speed solution??

What we really need to find out is the spec sheet for each gearbox so that we compare the ratios in these gearboxes to our the current ones in our rados..

Would be nice to have another alternative... 8)

Yeah I saw it, I just sold a GLB too.

Remember also that the C already has hydraulic clutch gubbins in place so this swap will be even easier on the 60s/valvers.

all i could make out was that the ratios PVW gave in the article...

FYG 02S - 25.4

GQL 02S - 22.2

GLB 02s - 22.6

020 Late mk2 golf - 20.5

02A Rado G60 - 23.9

Also gotta take into account the wheel sizes used on the newer models... that will also make a difference...?

Ideally i wanna find out the ratios for each gear in these 6 speed boxes to compare them to the older ratios..? just cant find anything.

I dont think you will better the ration/gearing you already have mike. THe TT 6speed box ratio's are no where near as suited to our driving style.

Yeah, i have been reading that article with interest too. the 2.0 16v 'rados seem to have a ccccrap selection of cogs as it is, and I think mine's due a re-build anyway!

Just rang a local breakers and was quoted £450 for one of these boxs has none at the minute but he has sold loads but he was very honest a said that certain model gave some bother. I also think that the mounting plate in the PVW article would need some research as it would need to be spot on size, await further info