Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Ignition switch replacement

Hi i have allso had problems with ignition switch (which looks like a replacement gsf one.I ended up buying a starter motor 90 quid.I tried the feed to the starter of course first with a test light and showed ok so i bought the starter fitted it still nothing. So then tried a direct feed from the battery works ok.(anybody any ideas) now wired to cig lighter with a bit of trial and error looks cool works fine still would like to know if its the ignition switch.

fla

If you use the thin chrome handled engineering style screw drivers (you need to bend the end to get it to locate in the screw head correctly - see new switch to note angle), you can get thin nosed pliers on the screw driver handle to start the screw off - I had the same problem.

MysticBlueStorm, did that mate. The problem was more the screw was done up so damn tight that there was insufficient torque on the screwdriver to open it. Sprayed some release oil and chisled part of the retaining bracket and finally got there. Henny is right about perseverance on this little job. I had the clocks out too (coincidentally) which did make it somewaht easier.

Why did you remove the steering column adjuster knob? :?

You have to in order to remove the upper column cowling, hence why it's removable by merely undoing one 10mm nut :lol:

I found it a lot easier doing it from above.

ah, I wondered if I'd missed something from my write up... 8)