Sign in to follow this  
minkeya

1.8 16valve with ABF bottom end????????????

As I just can't find a 9a engine to convert my 1.8 16valve, my beautiful nugget banana is sitting outside my house with mould growing on the steering wheel. Its so depressing, and I wanna get her sorted a.s.a.F.p.!

Shall I just get the standard engine rebuilt OR use the bottom end from a 2.0 ABF engine from a mk3 Golf? Please help!

What about a 6a from an audi

2 of my mates have these (one is fitted into a mk2 golf and one into a Jetta)

Think these are maybe more available, you might be lucky and buy a whole car for a few hundred quid and sell the parts off the car????

Have been offered a 6a, but has 120k on the clock. Havn't heard much about this conversion so don't know how straight forward it is.

I think its very similar to the 9a, neither of my mates have mentioned any major headaches

As for the mileage, that isnt too high for a valver, my old valver had 140k+ on the clock and it was sweet as a nut.

I know one lad who's valver had done 200k without a bottom end rebuild (think it was very tired though towards the end)

I will speak to The Phirm tomorrow, hopefully they are gonna do the work so will ask about the 6a.

If anybody has a 1.8 with an ABF bottom end be nice to hear if it's any good!

You can use a 6A after changing the sump to the transverse type (you can use your original and you need a 9A oil pump. Depending on the year of your KR you will need a later oil filter bracket and crankcase breather.

Of the the same mates had a mk2 fitted with an ABF bottom end, it can be done, but there are some issues with the throttle body touchin the bonnet, not sure about the rado tho

abfs are 18mm taller blocks.

I used a 6a, you need to use the 1.8 sump and oil pick up pipe,and source a 2l 8v oil filter housing

120k is nothing on a 6a as they rarely get ragged. Mine had done 155k

The 9A block is 220-mm high from crank centre line to block deck whereas the ABF is 236-mm high. It was used in the Golf 3 16v, Passat and Ibiza GTI. The 9A and ABF use a virtually identical crank and the bore/stroke are the same at 82.5x92.8-mm respectively. The taller block was accommodated by the use of 159-mm long con rods instead of 144-mm and also slightly taller pistons with 1-mm larger gudgeon pins. The main reason for the increase in block height was to reduce the con rod angle when the engine is at the middle of its stroke and therefore improve refinement and reduce engine wear from a slower piston speed.

Thanks fellas, I've got more sense out of you guys then most of the garages I've spoken to, trying to force me to buy a 20v turbo that I can't afford. Gonna go with the 6a me thinks, watch this space!!!