_leon_

best gear ratios for g60 gearbox

Glad you like it :lol: Well done getting it fitted so quickly! 8) Out of interest is it better than your previous VR 1 and 2 box?

TBH, i really dont know yet.. I havent had chance to take the car through the gears properly yet... although it does feel very good indeed.

With the VR 1st and 2nd the only difference to me was obviously 1st and 2nd... as this CTN box is a different box all together...;-) THe ratios in the CTN box do feel longer tho.. perfect for the G60 Torque, as you stated.. i think this box will defo be the box to have from now on....rather than forking out all that money to get VR cogs put in etc.

I will post up a few more comments when the i ve had chance to take the car out for a proper drive. :)

Sorry I meant with regards to the traction available, torque steer etc.

Just fitted my CTN Diesel box...

All i can say is.....OMG!! what a difference! The traction is unbelievable!

Easily 65mph in second now...All gears feel very smooth!! May need a bit more adjustment to get perfect gear change but i am well happy!!!!!

Havent had chance to test out fifth gear yet at cruising speeds .. i ve only just finished fitting it!.lol will give that a go on Sunday after i ve given the car another checkover.

Thanks CTW for all you research...Top Man!!!

This is a very happy post!

I´m going to search for thoses gearboxes around here...

I always felt G60 gears very light, the ATB box would satisfy me today, but as i see, the CTN looks much better! 8)

Thanks for the post! :D

Sorry I meant with regards to the traction available, torque steer etc.

There doesnt seem to be much torque steer at all tbh... just loads of traction...! only span up today due to the rain. In terms of how does it compare with the VR cogs.. time will tell.. i am going to have to drive it around for a week or two to gain a better opinion, but i think the CTN is looking like it may just pip the good old VR cog swap.. 8)

Although the VR Box can get to 60 in second... this CTN box does defo feel likes it alot more capable of getting to 60 without ragging the nuts out of the car..Even with the VR cogs in the G60 box you still had to gun it to get it to hit 60... the CTN seems to get to 60 alot easier and as soon as you change into 3rd your already at 70 aproaching the ton! Very impressive setup, considering its basically just a gearbox change..

Fifth gear is nice aswell! i can cruise at 70 at 2500rpms!

Glad to hear some more good results.

Would you say its actually made the car a lot quicker in acceleration as well as more tractable?

What do you mean by quicker?? The car doesnt really feel any slower.. I can barely notice the difference when giving it some, apart from the fact i am now doing approx an Extra 10mph in each gear. And as i am planning on more power it will only get quicker! lol

The Gearing now seems to make better use of the engines torque as it should be.. I felt with the standard box i was always running out of revs too quickly.. with this setup it feels like there is alot more to play with. Its very hard to describe..The car feels just as quick as it did but just different, almost like the car has another 1k revs to play with.

Its definately better than the standard box by far tho. IMO.

A good explanation mike, its what i was hoping you would say, i couldnt get across what i meant as well too clearly.

So do you think with my power levels it would make a good box, as you say the G60 box is naff.

Basically i need a box that revs quickly but does not run out of steam too quick if that makes any sense?

This CTN box is defo a good start!

Like i said earlier give me a week to have a few proper drives in it and i will have a much better idea of whats going on.. 8) but yeah i think it would work very well in your car indeed! With your power you may even get a bit closer to the 175mph top speed the gear ratios will give in 5th gear! I have no chance in my "boxy" Golf...lol

And tbh, its only going to cost you £250 max for a decent low mileage box.. which is quite cheap when you consider the cost of a custom box...? :D

Believe me i had a huge grin on my face when i first took the car for a spin! to say i was chuffed was an understatement...

Well eagerly awaiting the end of the week to come mike.

Because its giving more traction do you think its still worth getting a diff?

I like the idea of having more traction in the corners but not the straight line torquesteer. As it stands its not bad in the straights and the car is reasonably well set up for the corners.

Well after living with the box for a week or so, i can defo say it was worth all the hassle!!

I dont really get any wheel spin in 2nd gear now, it just rockets up to 65 ish and as soon as you're in 3rd your approaching 95 - 100mph very rapidly, as mentioned earlier there is now alot more low down power action in the gears now rather than running out of revs so quickly... much more suited to the g60 power delivery.

5th gear is more of cruising gear now.. i couldnt really get her past 147 @ 5300rpms , but i guess that has alot to do with the top end power and aero dynamics. ( all on private roads of course.. :D )

IMO , with the higher power cars (250 - 300+), i think the gearbox would be made even better with a LSD.. not thats its not good anyway but fitting an LSD would get the absolute most out of the setup.

Now you can enjoy all future engine improvement all the more. 147mph is good going was it very slow over 140mph to get to 147mph. It's so cool how fast you can get to 135 in 4th isn't it.

Do you know what power your engine is putting out currently? Are your wheel 15" or 16"?

Now you can enjoy all future engine improvement all the more. 147mph is good going was it very slow over 140mph to get to 147mph. It's so cool how fast you can get to 135 in 4th isn't it.

Do you know what power your engine is putting out currently?

Well it certainly isnt slow getting too 140... but from the 140 to 147 it was a bit more of a trek..but how often to you go that sorta speed! the 0 - 100 figure is the one i am more interested in tbh 8)

But yeh 4th gear is awesome too! infact the whole setup is awesome! wish i had known about this sooner, as it would have saved me some cash when sorting out the rado gearbox.

The car at the moment is prob putting aout about 205 - 215 bhp from what i can gather, havent had it rollered yet tho.

Sounding good stuff all this.

Bet im not far off 135 in 4th as it is already on the G60 box so who knows maybe 175mph here i come.

Hopefully get 1 sorted after my jollies in a week.

so the bottom line is , we need to find a ctn box off a late mk3 1.9 tdi.

can yo guys post pics up. so we can confirm fitment etc. this all sounds like 'to good to be true'

wasn't the mk3 diesel cable clutched..?

I would say it was the bottom line, there maybe other possibilities depending on engine characteristics, vehicle use etc. Sorry what do you mean confirm fitment? It's an 02A gearbox it will look just like the gearbox in your engine bay! Some early diesel gearboxs were cable operated like the golf mk2 these were 020 gearboxs.

Tell all what you think if you get one fitted. Off Topic, how did you get on with a replacement Brake Master Cylinder?

i've out put the old 22mm one on and i'm gunna try and take the 25.4mm one back. it was useless. you would have to have a foot like the bfg to use it. at least i know the od one works safely. i just need to make the leon 323mm disc fit . :?

back to gearboxes. spoken to nearly every breakers, and some require an engine code to find the part. so if any one has this it would be helpfull.. also one had said all 020 boxes are the same...??? not true. and finally found one. the guy cant confirm if its a ctn box. - where would this be on the box? . but all mk3 tdi boxes are the same. ? and he wants 365 delivered. oouch. :( not alot of luck.

off topic slightly,but nevertheless.what ratios/strenght are in a stealth/gemini 6speed box on a vr? :? .

found one. after spending 2 days asking every scrappy in the country.. but was 250 plus vat and he wanted 50 delivery. .