Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

My Efforts at a Wheel Refurb - pics - Now with Lacquer P2!

NICE! these turned out really well, looks like i not the only one with speedies that need a refurb :)

just read this thread and am impressed with the handywork displayed but how do we go about sorting out kerb marks out without ruining the wheel.

cheers grease monkeys.

i recently helped a mate refurb a set of alfa romeo teledials that were kerbed to hell.

to rebuild the lip of the rim, we found a bit of a rim that was undamaged, then used the Metalic version of p38 filler to make a "mould" that we could use to reform the edge of the rim.

we carefully layed selotape over a good bit of rim, then made a golfball size blob of filler and moulded it round the selotape and let it set, then took it off.

then whe we put the metla filler on the rim, we could skim it round with our little mould and it matched the profile of the lip perfectly, very little sanding was needed after :) not sure how durable it will be but hes always mega careful with kerbs so it shouldnt matter too much ;)

we then primered up the rim with etch primer and painted+laquered.

before:

3.jpg

after:

2.jpg

on the car:

1.jpg

good job, looks neat. Just in the middle of doing mine. Started the one wheel (at the mo) on sunday, sanded it down filled any kerbing and primed. Got the Wurth paint through today, just giving it a couple of coats. Is it recommended the paint stage is sanded using 1200 wet and dry before lacquering?

Has anyone attempted doing the inside of the wheels too, or just stuck to refurbing the face?

i would never sand a basecoat surface before i laquered it- and you should generally apply the laquer no more than 2 hours after the basecoat is applied (ie before its cured fully) so it adheres properly. Otherwise you're more likely to get issues with the laquer lifting over time and getting white watermarks behind it.