Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

My Efforts at a Wheel Refurb - pics - Now with Lacquer P2!

Hi Everyone.

Well my Speedlines were looking bonk, so I did some research and decided to refurb my wheels myself - I figure if it doesnt work out, I can always get it fixed by the pros.

I got a bit of overspray on the tyres, but they were in need of replacing...

I'm pretty chuffed so far. I'll add the lacquer this weekend. What do you all think?

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

nice work.

Try slotting the masking tape down the gap sideways with an extra layer - worked for me!

I made the mistake of trying to restore BBS multispokes - I think I counted about 120 flat surfaces on each wheel to sand. Not doing that again! My efforts on Estorils was much more satisfying.

look good though - well done!

Looking great mate! You've given me renewed appetite for having a bash at this this weekend. My Speedies are looking tired and in need of a refurb and the tyres will need to be replaced all round (ouch!) so I've got a set of cheapy Solitudes off the bay sitting in the garage, which are in a similar state to yours by the look of your pics. I'm going to have a bash at sanding down and respraying this weekend.

Any tips about technique or materials etc? Was planning to go down the Cheesewire's route as described elsewhere, using Halfords' very own silver spray paint.

looking good, have you used a clear lacquer on top of the silver or is that just the silver paint

That's just the Wurth Silver alloy wheel paint. I'll be putting the clear laquer on at the weekend.

I prepared my wheels with some 240 grade wet and dry to get shot of all the flaked surface, then 800 and 1200 so I had a nice smooth finish. I used lots of fairy liquid to make sure the surfaces were dry and tack cloth from halfrauds for getting rid of any other surface dust.

I used Halfords Zinc primer (which keeps rust at bay) - two coats, smoothing down with 1200 wet and dry and tack cloth between paintings.

Once dry I used Wurth German Alloy Silver Wheel Lacquer - 400ml

"Wurth Alloy Silver Wheel Lacquer is a fast-drying lacquer that matches the standard alloy wheel paint used by Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi and most other European manufacturers".

The German design nozzle produces a fine, even spray that is easy to control and produces a near-factory finish. Wurth Alloy Silver Wheel Lacquer dries quickly and is chip resistant.

I'll finish it off by smoothing it down again, then spraying with Wurth High Gloss Clear Alloy Wheel Lacquer - 400ml.

"All wheels repainted or repaired with the Wurth Silver Wheel Lacquer should have 2 to 3 topcoats of Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer to seal the silver metallic paint and add depth and gloss."

The surface to be painted must be dry, clean and free from grease or oil prior to applying the clear coat. So again I'll be getting out the fairy liquid. I'll spray 2 to 3 light coats about 30 minutes apart.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

tidy, looking good as they are but with a clear coat on top they are going to look ace,

post a pic when you do them.

djmac56, many thanks for that! Will be sure to document the process with before and after shots, and I'm sure your tips will be dead useful!

nice work.

Try slotting the masking tape down the gap sideways with an extra layer - worked for me!

I made the mistake of trying to restore BBS multispokes - I think I counted about 120 flat surfaces on each wheel to sand. Not doing that again! My efforts on Estorils was much more satisfying.

look good though - well done!

Multispokes must have been a nightmare - you're a braver man than me!

I refurbed some 205gti wheels, same way as has already been said. I got a bit of overspray on the tyres, but took it off with a little bit of thinners on a cloth.

best way to avoid the overspray on the tyres is to let the tyre down then poke sections of cornflake packet with a curve cut out into the gap, then re-inflate the tyre

How much was the cost of paint etc???

The zinc primer was £5.99, the silver paint was £9.99 and the clear coat was £10.99.

That will probably do all 4 wheels.

Awesome job there mate. How satisfying that must have felt when you stood back to admire your own handy work. Make sure you post up piccies of the final result :thumbleft:

nice job but to make life easier for others you only need to prep with 500grade paper when using silver and you can use 400grade on solid colours!

OK, I've done the lacquer, but the photos haven't come out very well - it's like the wheel is so glossy the autofocus won't work!

Here's the first one - the gloss has smoothed out the imperfections in the finish.

DSC00116.jpg

Close up it's very nice, but this doesn't really do them justice!

DSC00117.jpg

Grey primer will be next to useless on the bare alloy, you should really have used an acid etch primer first.

Least you'll know for when you have to refurb them next winter LOL

Nice one!

Did u buy all the paint from halfords???

I just bought some deep dish rims with a decent set of tires on for £70, only prob is on 2 of the rims (the dish part) the lacquer is flaking off!

So gonna attempt to fix them up!

I haven't got a garage though! Spraying them out side in the shed then bringing them to the house would be okay do u think???

Cheers

Grey primer will be next to useless on the bare alloy, you should really have used an acid etch primer first.

Least you'll know for when you have to refurb them next winter LOL

i've been told that most primers are etch primers, even the majority of ones in a can?