Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Few 'How To's' - Basic and advanced washing...and claying.

Nice one Neil. I will be following that clay bar guide when i do my parents car as its been really neglected so it will definately need claying!

I've been reading these... A lot of it sounds simple, but for those of us who wash/wax many cars weekly, it's still worth a refresher!

Added a 'How To' for the meguiars scratch-x. :)

Neil.

Out of interest... Is it ok to Scratch X the car twice in succession? should I wash it or use paint cleaner in between sessions?

I was hoping to finish claying the car at the weekend and to Scratch X it, If i have time, more than once, was just wondering if that was ok? Will probably scratch X it again and start to polish it the weekend after, probably polishing it several times over a couple of weekends?

In which case, is it ok to polish twice in succession? I know waxing ought to be left for a day between coats...

Cheers Neil...

Im pretty sure its fine to scratch-x twice in succession mate. I did on my mates car. For the first go i used quite a bit of scratch-x but didnt concentrate on working it so much. Then the second i didnt use as much but i concentrated more on working the product. After the 2 scratch-x's you should then use the paint cleaner to prep for polish and then polish. If thats all you are doing then add the wax on top but if you are going to polish again then no point waxing.

Think thats right anyway, Neil will confirm :D

:thumbleft: spot on.

A few people tend to think the paint cleaner should be used before the scratch-x...but scratch-x being an abrasive (although a diminishing one) will take care of anything that the paint cleaner would be used for.And using the paint cleaner first will make the scratch-x a little harder to remove.

So yep,scratch-x can be used a good few times,and as Rob says if used in succession...First application should be put on liberally and not really 'worked'

Remove this,and then with the second application,apply it in a more targeted and concentrated way.

And you are right to want to polish a few times too,its often a forgotten thing these days...everyone just seems to be mad on wax!

Basically,if you use each product till it does the best job it can do,then the product after that will work to its full potential...same with the product after that...and so on.

Think of it like painting a car,preperation is key,and if prepped to the full potential,then the end result will always be better and last longer.

Neil. :)

And you are right to want to polish a few times too,its often a forgotten thing these days...everyone just seems to be mad on wax!

Neil. :)

Just to expand on this...

Imagine you own a red car (good example as it shows up uva/uvb damage notoriously well)

This car is polished once or twice,and then waxed to death after that.

The wax...no matter how good,will not protect the paint from uva/uvb radiation,or surface scratches from dust dirt 100% of the time its on the car at 100% efficiency.

The paint will loose colour,become cloudy and become easily damaged/scratched...therefore fading.

Polish.polish.polish.No matter how dead set people are/can be on wax,polishing must not be forgotten as it keeps the paint fresh/clean...and then when a wax is applied,the wax will work as best it can.But...again,polishing should still commence now and again to keep on top.

Basically dont aim for a routine of washing/waxing,its not the ideal combination as you are leaving out a vital link.

Careful and regular (as needed) washing,polishing now and again,and waxing more often will kepp the paint at its best.

Sorry to go on one a bit :oops:

Neil.

Wicked, ben16v told me about the mitt two buckets thing. Works a treat!

Wheels first from now on!

Thanks!

your cars only plastic anyway :lol:

No worries guys :D

I really do try to keep things easy to read/understand and follow...Hope it helps!

I will try and add more when i get time :( I enjoy trying to pass on the info in an easy to understand way.

Neil.

Cheers Steve :D

I had a few comments from people across the forums about the 'hints and tips' page on my site being a little basic...but i do believe that the basics are an important step to tweaking your routine etc...So ive still tried to keep the basics on the new forum,but just gone into a little more detail.

Just keeps things easy to understand for everyone that way,no matter what the level of car care knowledge. :)

Damn! :shock: time to close microsoft frontpage and drag my a$$ to bed! :lol:

Neil.

Riley, some good pointers there. I too fall into the trap of just wax wax and wax, so maybe its time for a good polish beforehand. Would you recommend using an electric polisher (i got a basic £15 one from argos with one speed) prior to waxing? If not, when should/would you use the electric one?

I have used one of those cheapy electric ones before mate and tbh they dont do any better than by hand. They are quicker then hand on larger panels like bonnet/roof etc but you cant get anywhere smaller with them really. If ya not careful as well they could probably do more bad then good.

I would just use your hands mate and some nice microfibre cloths and take your time with it, the outcome would be better and more rewarding imo.

Wicked, ben16v told me about the mitt two buckets thing. Works a treat!

Wheels first from now on!

Thanks!

your cars only plastic anyway :lol:

Done mine today, followed instructions spot on. Cold water in the second bucket makes quite a difference. Got a synthetic chamois too, forgot just how good it is to chamois after cleaning makes a HUGE difference.

Not sure about the fibreglass thing, tar and rubber from the rear wheels definitely sticks to it like a bastard.

Now realise where I've been going wrong all these years! :(

Going through the guides for a complete clean I need to:-

Wash - clay - wash again - scratch removalx2 - wash again - then polish - finishing off with wax.

Is that right?

What do's and dont's would you suggest with the polishing/waxing? Is their guides anywhere? And the best products?

Thanks for the help. :D