Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Preventing wear on leather recaros?

i been thinking that i don't want my leathers becoming worn out in places, when i see other examples the side bolster and centre of seat gets really worn, some cases it forms a hole.

how i stop this happening? if i use a seat cover on them most of the time will this help or make it worse?

i know regular conditioning can help

if you do use seat covers make sure they have a very soft backing or maybe put a section of fleece fabric over the leather before you fit the covers, if it has a non slip backing and exposed stitching like most of them have it will probably make it worse, also keep the leather conditioned well and it should keep it soft but tough, try a farm stores type place and have a look at some of the saddle care products, i believe thats what walesy uses to keep his gimp mask nice and supple :wink:

Take them out and put them in the living room to look at, while you drive around on some cheap cloth seats you don't care about.

I mean, seriously though, these are SEATS just sit on them and be done with it. As long as you treat the leather periodically they'll last as long as they can, and you can't expect any more than that.

Take them out and put them in the living room to look at, while you drive around on some cheap cloth seats you don't care about.

I mean, seriously though, these are SEATS just sit on them and be done with it. As long as you treat the leather periodically they'll last as long as they can, and you can't expect any more than that.

Agreed, clean them well, condition them etc but apart from that use them as they are meant to be used. To keep you in place while driving!

Agreed, clean them well, condition them etc but apart from that use them as they are meant to be used. To keep you in place while driving![/quote:13f65]

get another seat and use a seat cover on that, no-one will know its a different seat and the real one will stay mint

Agreed, clean them well, condition them etc but apart from that use them as they are meant to be used. To keep you in place while driving!

Unlike Tractor seats as the Stig found out! :lol:

I think the worst wear on seats is the bolsters which sag after being hit every time the driver gets in the car. I just try to sit in the actual seat when getting in and not whacking the bolsters. The rest of the leather will keep if you treat it every now and then i would imagine.

Leather is the best wearing material but to be honest just sit on it.

You will more than likely find that the drivers bolster goes before anything else and if they are proper recarros you can not get a single bolster, its a whole seat bottom (and they are quite expensive)

dont wear bloody jeans for a start! They tend to have studs on the back pockets that make a lovely scrape down the seat as you get in every time..as i discovered when I did it!!!..bol@@ks!!!!