Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

My Pearl Ghey 16v Gone :( - Introducing "Annie"

Nope.

Garage have confirmed head Gasket's gone...

So it's either Break it or ABF it... :(

Break it?? Don't be a fanny, a head gasket change can be done in a day, and will cost you chuff all......much cheaper than sticking an ABF in it!

Sorry to hear that mate.

ABF it. I had a mk2 Golf GTi 8v with an ABK (same difference) bottom end. Nice bit of grunt!

Nope.

Break it?? Don't be a fanny, a head gasket change can be done in a day, and will cost you chuff all......much cheaper than sticking an ABF in it!

+1

Headgasket job is apparently quite DIY'able or not that expensive at any decent garage. Don't be such a girl!!

Nope.

Stu, at £45/hr garage rates, plus re-machining head would be pretty expensive...

I just don't have time to work on it now, and I'm away on holiday end of next week, so money's not there either... :pale:

Need to have a longer conversation with Garage at lunch and see what the damage is...

Don't break it, its such a shame that soo many people are breaking corrado's. Head Gasket will take a day and you could have a lie in AND be ready to go out on the drink on the night time.

If you really wanted to you could get the head skimmed, grind all the valves in during the week and put it back together and i bet it will feel better once its back together. I am by no means a mechanic and i've changed a head gasket a few times now, cost about £50 for head gasket and head bolts plus £70 for head skimming if you fancy taking on the task

Problem is I don't have another car, so can't get stuff to engineering firms to get done...

Plus I work from 7.30-6 weekdays...

Well get up early on saturday, nip down your local parts store and get working. Ill talk you through it if needs be just to stop another corrado being broken!!!

Grab the relevant Passat Haynes manual (bright pink one) off eBay (I got mine for £1!) and get the parts and get stuck in :)

At least have a go before you break a perfectly good Rado!

VR conversion time....

Don't be a wuss Jon, get stuck in! Why not get someone from Gonads to get you the parts if you work silly hours?

Is there not anyone on here local to you who could do it for you for less than the garage? I've done work for dubbers local to me and they have returned the favour for things I've not been confident doing myself.

nick

Stu, at £45/hr garage rates, plus re-machining head would be pretty expensive...

I just don't have time to work on it now, and I'm away on holiday end of next week, so money's not there either... :pale:

Need to have a longer conversation with Garage at lunch and see what the damage is...

I did the head gasket on Mrs Badcrumble on a Saturday day. Never done a head gasket before, in fact it was the first major bit of mechanicing that I'd done. I took me 7 hours from start to finish (not that bad I thought). I was swapping the heads over, so need to get the head skimmed, but you could quite easily get hold of a KR head, with cams and kill to birds with one stone?? It really isn't a difficult job. If I can manage it, I'm sure your capable :dorky:

funny-pictures-melodrama-cat.jpg

:lol: Thanks Tom. Cheered me right up!

I know I am being a bit of a "Queen" but with leaving to Vietnam next weekend, having things booked in this weekend, and having to get the cats to their cattery on Friday too, I didn't need this! :(

On further conversation with John at Nirro, it looks like it's nicked the gasket between 2/3... it is pressurizing the coolant system, but no oil/water mixing, so he's pretty confident it's just the gasket...

So hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow... and If i can get them over there, with KR cams installed too! :clap:

Fingers crossed!

Ahh, only take an hour or two to change then :)

If you need it, i've got a KR cylinder head i can sell you... in fact i have a few lol

i agree that the head gasket is not so difficult to change but i can also appreciate when time is short its difficult to manage the most simple of jobs. One pointto remember is that breaking it will take a lot of time!

Well the news isn't good for the old girl...

Looks like the head did suffer and the quote came in today... at £700! :shock:

So there's a serious decision to make, do I keep on or cut my loses and get something else?

Am seriously Gutted ATM... Don't have the cash as we're off to Vietnam in a week couldn't have come at a worse time...

Think I'll have to look at new engine, or for a good 9a head... unsure if a KR on will fit? Never did get a definative answer on that...

Gutted for you mate :( Take a deep breath. Would an ABF work? Would think the KR would work.

Looking at it the ABF is "Almost" a bolt in job... and will run with the KE-Jet... but finding a good one is proving difficult...

Lack of 16v mk3 Golfs being broken ATM... what else used ABF?

Ibiza/toledo/passat used ABF but I reckon your best bet is an 'ACE' from an audi, just need to change the sump and oilpump pickup much like doing a 6A into a Corrado.

Ibiza/toledo/passat used ABF but I reckon your best bet is an 'ACE' from an audi, just need to change the sump and oilpump pickup much like doing a 6A into a Corrado.

Which Audis dave? And what sump/pick up?

Decision made.. and it's (to quote Kylie) "Better the devil you know"

Realistically as I still have the money for the paint from the guy who hit me in Greenwich that will just about cover the bill and Paint can be done some other time!

And YES I know it's a "DIY" job, but getting the garage to do it as I don't have time ATM, need it back before end of week before we go away...

But another one lives again! And will ask the Garage to drop my KR cams in it wheilst the head's off as well :clap:

Which Audis dave? And what sump/pick up?

pm'd, too,

but you want a late A80 with an EFI 16v lump in it

oil pickup pipe needs to be same as a 9A/ABF as the sump is differently shaped for the lengthways audi engine and where it needs to avoid the ARB in those cars, pump is same IIRC, just the pickup pipe is different

Dave, didn't get a pm?

Anyway the Rado's back at last! Has had to have the head skimmed as it was warped!

Seems much more torquey now and a blast to drive.... :clap:

BUT I will need a new dizzy as the hall sender's dodgy... something else to sort on my return! :(

Oh and BIG thanks to the Yeti, I'll also have a set of Samcos to go soon as well... what a great b-day present! :luvlove:

Nice one - glad you fixed it rather than breaking it mate!