Sign in to follow this  
Crooky

Is the G60 supercharger fairly silent???

Having gone from a Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T with 320BHP at the rears........

I have bought a G60.......

I know the car is a lot slower and expected that of a 1.8litre 8v engine but i thought i would hear the supercharger whining?????

Sounds like the car is just a regular 8v 1.8 but because i have been used to silly turbocharged power i don't know if the supercharger is boosting correctly if at all???? :shock:

Alex

You should DEFINITELY be able to hear the G-Lader!!

Maybe you were expecting a high pitched whine a la eaton type chargers found on Mini Cooper S for example? The G60 is a bit more subtle, much deeper & if it's totally standard i'd expect it to be a lot quieter than a GTS-T.

Are you sure its not just an 8v :D

In all seriousness wait til you get the charger serviced or you'd need to compare it to someone local with a G60?

Well there is a big fat lump in the bottom left of the engine bay that looks like a supercharger lol! I'm worried if its not!!!!!!!

The car has all G60 paperwork and logos so i'm sure it is. But to me it just sounds like an NA engine!! Strange.......

Alex

You should notice if it wasn't making any boost, would be really slow and unresponsive!! you can do the follow test to check mainfold/boost pressure

"" 1. Start engine

2. Move the MFA selector to "2"

3. Press and hold the MFA end button (keep holding)

4. Stop engine

5. Start engine

6. Release the MFA end button.

7. Press the MFA End button one time.

You should now see 550-750 readings fluctuating with idle. Anything higher than 750 is probably not right (a vacuum leak possibly?). Much less than 550 is probably too much timing advance. Run the car to the redline in 3rd and 4th gears noting the highest readings you get.

Running a standard 78mm pulley you should see 11psi if the charger is in good nick but a charger with a smaller pulley should make more than 11.6

EURO Hg(#'s of boost/vacuum)

200 - 23.7

400 - 17.8

600 - 11.9

800 - 5.9

1000 0 (Atmospheric pressure, charger is bypassed?)

1200 2.9 psi (You have a major boost leak)

1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is in very poor condition)

1600 8.7 psi (Your charger would benefit from new apex strips)

1800 11.6 psi (Good for stock pulley, needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

2000 14.5 psi (Good for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

2200 17.4 psi (Good for 68mm pulley on heavily ported charger)

Any more than this and you must ensure that the fuelling is seriously up to scratch At this point you are into the realms of different injectors, aftermarket engine management and so forth....""

^^^^^^ Beat me to it^^^^^^^^^

Was just looking for that!

All you need to know is there Crooky just wait for a cold night full of dense air!

If you can't hear it then who knows!.......

Will try that!!!!

Cheers buddy!!

The car is running stage 4 on the charger(don't know what this means???) A rallye FMIC and an oil cooler!

Alex

Just a tad lol! Before that i had an MR2 Turbo!

Have just done the above test and the car was showing 250 at idle!!!! But then i prodded the throttle and it raised to 450-480????????

Driving along when i lifted my foot off the accelerator it dropped to 250......but upon full chatt up to redline in 3rd and 4th it made 1360-1400!!!!!!

Does this sound right???? I have stage 4 on the charger but have no frikin clue what that means lol!

Alex

how can you NOT notice that horrid monotonous drone that charger makes?!

I couldn't drive one for more than 10 mintues.

Any ideas?? The car also has a decat Miltek exhaust system and a k&n panel filter??

Someone tell me what stage 4 is!! lol!

It should sound a bit like a Flymo (as per sig)! Stage 4 denotes porting of the charger casing to smooth airflow. They are a bit muffled with standard induction but there's no mistaking the noise!

You should be able to hear the charger, its not a whine, but theres a noise, hold it about 2.5k and you should hear the induction pulse

Stage 4 should mean some porting work has been done on the charger.

Sounds liek either your charger is in need of a service or youve got a big boost leak.

My advice would be to send it to G-Werks for a check up.

Well 1400 on the above chart equates to a very poorly supercharger! I thought something was up as you can't hear the charger at all throughout the rev range!!

Alex

with a read out like 1400, its a major boost leak or something is up with the charger, have you checked all the intercooler pipe work and possibly the charger belt/s?

Yep, should be boosting to around 1800 with that sort of setup, so sounds like a poorly charger. One thing to bear in mind though, the MFA pressure measurements aren't always hugely accurate. To be on the safe side I'd recommend a trip to G-werks as well.

Hi Alex, Dont forget to mention to these guys that it is on a standard pulley, the charger was overhauld and staged 4 by JMC, 20.000 mls ago, and i would think that given the difference in bore size of Rallye pipework, and size of Rallye cooler to standard G60 then the Mfa readings could be lower, i guess, All the best Dave

Cheers for the help people! 8)

One of the guys that works for G werks lives about 5 mins from me apparently so i will get him to have a look first if not take it down to the garage.......

Dave......Do you know if the cambelt has been changed??????

Alex

I dont honestly know Alex, I was going to change it myself this summer just to make sure alls ok, i have had a look at it though and it seems ok, tension and belt condition look fine but for piece of mind allways better to change it, Dave