Sign in to follow this  
uktarget

Slight rattle

First i'd like to say say hi to everyone so.....

HI. :D

Been into my aircooleds for quite a while but needed somthing warmer and more up to today traffic and roads.

Ok i've just bought a h-plate g60 drove it 100 miles from cheshire no prob's on sunday then on tuesday its developed a woodpecker like rattle and was pinking when i stopped which is noticable between 2k-3k so if i've had to use it i have been very carful.

Thing is im getting conflicting opinions so i need help i've been told that it's the bigend bearings and that i should be ok with just having the shells done as i've not give it any grief since this started happening but they can't do it for a week,so phoned another guy today who's said that it's 99% certain that a new cranks going to be needed too.

i want to get this sorted a.s.a.p and i am going ge the crank pully bolt done at the same time.

The engines got 160k and has had a top end and charger rebuild 2k ago

and is standard.

so any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers :wink:

It can't pink when stopped but G60 con rod bearings are very prone to wear. They are easy to change in situ (the nuts and bolts must also be changed) and I prefer to use KS bearings. It is rare that the crank is damaged but this is easy to check when doing the bearings. Always fit a new oil pump.

have you checked the oil level? Sounds to me that you may be hearing the tappets complaining about having no oil in 'em if it's rattling and sounding like it's pinking at idle... :|

Crasher? Are the KS bearings the Diesel MKIII ones?

Thanks for the advice chaps im getting midlands vw to fit new bearings on thursday (mk3 tdi ones) and get the crank bolt done as well.

Dont know if anyone on here is interested but i might be selling my mk1 gti heres a link to all the info.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=342081

Like i've said not definatly yet dont know why i left so long before getting the haynes manual out :D can't wait to get it all legal this week