Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

What brakes disk do you guys run?

My corrado VR6 is totally standard and I am planning on keeping it that way. The front brake disks are pretty knackered and are starting to suffer from fade. Can you guys recommend replacement disk that will go straight in.

I don't want race systems or anything radical, and most of my work is town stuff so no disks that need to get heat into them.

I'm on a bit of a budget (all my money goes on my bike :roll:) but I like a good set of brakes and don't mind spending a bit if its really worth it!

Thanks! :wink:

one word: VAG

I put original VAG disks on my G60 when I bought her and have been more than happy with the results. VAG's got a good price structure in place for these parts and they aren't at normal stealer price levels :shock:

Good value and you know that they'll last and do what they're supposed to 'cos that's exactly what they were designed for!... :D

I used to have Pagid 8 Groove Discs on my 16v and they were rather impressive. Teamed with Pagid pads, braking was never really a problem :)

AtE power-grooves are cheaper and are a O/E standard so there is no insurance penalty(most companies will load your premium if you upgrade your discs btw)

Mine are 288mm Black Diamond grooved & cross-drilled discs with Pagid pads.

Takes a few times to warm them up but you can't get break fade easily at all so they make a great setup for not that much!

Chris

I use Brembo drilled front disks. Same in every way to the VAG ones - only difference is thay they are drilled to help heat dissipation.

Readily available from German, Swedish & French (GSF)

Just fitted Pagid 8 Groove front discs and Pagid Fast Road pads. Still bedding in, but very impressed so far :D

Yes, VAG disks are very good for the price or if you want to uprate them get the Pagid grooved. Pagid fast road Pads will be fine with either choice

Wow - what a selection.. now I'm even more confused :? :lol:

VAG sounds good to me. I want the car to remain stock. Any idea on prices? Do they use standard VAG? pads? I guess German and Swedish are the place right!?

Sorry for the dumbass questions.. I'm stll learning..

Unless you're going to be changing your calipers then the VAG pads will be okay.

GSF may offer you 3 choices - Standard, Brembo drilled or I think they do some drilled & grooved ones but I can't remember who makes them.

Standard pads will be okay with any of these disks. Just be aware that drilled & grooved discs will shorten the life of your brakepads slightly.

For the type of driving that you describe, I don't think Pagid fast road pads would be the best choice.

Let's see a pic of the Wilwood & drilled brembo's then!

Chris

Maybe ×Ç|®8tËÐ will be able to sort you out with a picture. (My camera's at work).

The drilled Brembo disks are almost identical to the original VAG ones - only with holes in !!

Available from GSF

Just replaced mine a month ago got Zimmerman crossed drilled and padgid fast road pads, all from german and swedish, stops like a dream!! :D

a mate of mine just replaced his vag discs and pads with brembo road racing pads and discs and they do take slightly longer to warm up but once they are they are far more impressive than the standard ones they avoid fade for alot longer than my standard discs and pads...(1.8 16v) both of em btw :D

Mine are 288mm Black Diamond grooved & cross-drilled discs with Pagid pads.

Takes a few times to warm them up but you can't get break fade easily at all so they make a great setup for not that much!

Chris

Anyone Know a good place to buy these in the midlands area as im back in the UK i intend to buy new discs and pads.

I use Black Diamond grooved an drilled discs with pagid pads and i think there the dogs danglies! Would reccomed them to anyone- far superior over the standardd set up.

Have also used Zimmerman discs and green stuff pads which are also preety good to......

Running Zimmerman X-drilled discs and Pagid fast road pads just now. A bit dusty but other than that they are great. Gonna get Rotor discs all round next time though (once I get some alloys so you can see thm).

Chris VR6nos, Thats cause its Big - Grim..... not Big - Rim... :lol:

Still amusing though. but he has a Cream leather interior, so he gets away with it... :wink:

:lol:

Cream Storm interior at that :p Gonna get Big Rim's (liked that wee pun Brian) in the summer so don't panic. The steelies give it that "individual look too :wink: