Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

Engine flooding on trying to start

Seems like I'm having a right time of it! Have recently swapped over the cyl head for a big valve head on my g60. At the same time I fitted a new-ish distributor off a friend, cheap halford replacement leads (i know..), new bosche spark plugs, cam belt and tensioner and schrick cam pulley. i think thats it!

Had primed the engine, started it and it ran fine first time. A little lumpy compared to before, but i put that down down to the high lift cam being used. I turned it off again after a bit to top up the coolant after an earlier refill. Then on trying to start it up again, it refused to start up and resulted in a strong smell of fuel. On removing the plugs, the tips were wet with fuel and fuel was sitting on the top of the pistons. For now I've kept the plugs out to evaporate the fuel.

But not sure what could be the problem. It seems to be sparking, all the wiring appears to be intact and connected, rotor contacts cleaned up, timing marks line up correctly... If i continue to try and start it - it will after a while start to run but barely. I don't expect it to run perfectly, but thought it'll still run. Any ideas or spot anything I've maybe done wrong/forgotten? or usual procedure for fault finding?

Thanks guys :)

yeah the vac pipes are fine. and i dont have the old HT leads anymore - but the firing order is correct yes.

i noticed that #3 cylinder injector's lead had lost the plastic coating on one side so i carefully taped it up. but everything is intact yes.

i'm hopeless at electrics - sure its simple to do though - can you tell me what to do with a multimeter to check the fuel rail please? and what i should find?

engine earths are all ok

since i've changed the cam belt, i know the belt is on right and the marks all line up after a few turns of the engine - distributor is set correct and arm points to #1. i dont think i could set the ignition timing yet - am i wrong - is this the culprit?