ziderapple

Fun on the dunes :-D

Nice one Chris!

You do like to get stuck in :lol:

Should be good for a bit more boost when you're back together!

No point being a fanny about these things!! :lol: More boost is the plan, although I've never really experienced the true performance of this set up due to the map not being spot on.

Few updates, bad news today found a couple of cracks in my oil pump and also plate on the pick up is stoved in, guessing someone drove over a boulder at some point - I know the car had a new sump on it when I bought it..

P1010126.jpg

P1010127.jpg

All the bores are now honed out, pistons cleaned, ready to bolt up, will try to finish this week in the evenings, but I'm in real hurry, but its now a month since I have driven it!!

Pic of the worst piston

P1010122.jpg

After

P1010123.jpg

Block cleaned, bores cross-hatched and ready to go

P1010133.jpg

I have been very busy (worked 3 weekends in a row) and a bit lazy so this re-build is taking longer than planned, not been too bothered up untill today, but now I'm having some serious withdrawal feelings, been two months since it was on the road, and my works transit connect and girlfriends pug 106 just are not doing anything for me. :lol:

Little bit of progress this evening, had a go with the proper VW tool for fitting pistons back into the block with, works a treat, its really not worth messing around with grinding a standard spring compressor or struggling at all. It cost £18 inc vat from the stealers, well worth it.

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Most annyoing thing now is that the raddo is blocked in my parents garage as they are having a new roof put on and the scaffold has covered the drive! :(

Chris, looks like it's coming together nicely. Dunno how you've coped for two months without it. Went away the other week in the vRS and I was absolutely dying to drive the C!

Always wondered how the pistons went back in on a VR!

Shouldn't be long now then Chris, a man of your talents will have that back together in no time. Shame the builders aren't as rapid!

Thanks for the replies. Now I can get the pistons in, I can finish it pretty quickly and get it on the road, but I'm going to have to leave it untill next week, got too much on this week. :( I really cannot wait for a blast, been way too long.

damn shame you wont be making it down to ed38 in the corrado chris, but make sure you pop over and say hi :)

karl

I finally managed to get all the pistons in on wednesday night then got the new oil pump and sump bolted on. Everything nice and clean.

DSC00040.jpg

got stuck in today, had some welcome help from my brother to speed things up, was doing well even with a long liquid lunch down the pub :lol: Hit a bit of a snag, my chain tensioner has done a disapearing act..... really pi$$ed off, would have been running tonight otherwise, now its going to be next week :(

Still not much left to do now.

DSC00984.jpg

Off to the pub again now :D

Good man Chris. Almost there. Sorry to hear about your chain tensioner. Where did it go? I'll have to come and see you the next time I'm down Bristol way, visiting my brother. :)

YESSSSSS!!! Finally all done, and sounding sweet, well I think it is, I cant really hear much over the s/c. Had a leak or two to sort and need to remember where a couple of bits go - brackets and wires, nothing cruicial, but no more smoke! Taken it out for a quick spin, made me remember why I bought it, feels so good, been three months since I drove it last!! Didnt really get into the rev range at all - taking it steady and it felt so fast compared to the 106 - not difficult, running feels quicker than that :lol: Just need to sort insurance and tax now :(

Good stuff- must be a relief to finally get it driveable. Looking forward to seeing it sometime- I feel a Bristol/Bath meet coming on!

Its been a while, engine rebuild was unsuccesful, it lasted about 800 miles of sub 3000rpm driving, seemed strong, quiet, not smokey, but was runing very rich. I parked her at my parents before going on holiday and when I came back I went to move it but it cut out shortly after starting and never ran again.... :( I've started a new job so I've had a company car which had made me lazy, but now things are back on track!

Picked up a 2.8 24v 4motion lump yesterday... :D So its out with the old, and in with the new.

Will get picks up soon.

will you be doing everything yourself chris? will be good to see another one of these go through the motions!

Sounds good Chris! What sort of power would you be expecting with the charger?

I'm afriad the charger had to go... :( Think a turbo might find its way on to the new lump at some point though.

will you be doing everything yourself chris? will be good to see another one of these go through the motions!

All of it bar the wiring. Got a chap lined up to do it all who really knows his stuff, and is sorting the ECU out for me. Getting the downpipe fabricated up by a place in Bristol. Depending on how much time I get this week I'm hoping to have it back on the road in two weeks time. :D

I started today at 11 after picking up an engine hoist, manged to get the new block in by by about half seven, kept having to stop due to the rain. Not that bad really, worst job by a mile was getting the three bolts out of the exhaust flange where the downpipe bolts onto the cat, had to hacksaw all three bolts out, with barely any room lying under the car in the wet and dark. Everything else was easy in comparison. Need to get driveshafts bolted up, water hoses done then its off to have downpipe and wiring done!

Pic's of todays fun:

P1010057.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

Original flywheel, clucth and gearbox going on to 24v lump

P1010062.jpg

And in!!

P1010068.jpg

seriously wish i had the experience and balls to do something like this! looking good so far, just read right throu your topic, right pain that the vr died like that. this one should be much more fun tho :D lol

Crikey, that was fast! You sure don't hang about Chris!

Shame you couldn't keep the charger, but your loss is someone else's gain and it did fund a 24v! :wink: :D