Sign in to follow this  
half-9

Diavia A/C units

Were you replacing an existing AC system tonedef or starting from scratch??

Mice already has AC but would like to modernise it as it is atad on the unreliable side...

Hi Goldie

I was doing an install from scratch to replace the original feeble blower which used to clear only a couple of small patches on the screen. There's not a deal in there would be any use from a Diavia system, maybe the condenser and compresor although IIRC they used an earlier coolant so may be no good, everything else is climatronic specific.

One thing I would do differently if I were to do another is that I'd look for a condenser from a later car as the Passat one I used is huge and gave me a lot of extra work relocating the rad backwards. That's had the knock on effect of taking up space I need to get a Schrick in there (next plan after I locate some grey leather Recaros!). The one in my S3 is tiny by comparison.

Tony

The existing AC rad (condensor) on mine is huge as well but is mounted on the outside of the existing one so its hidden in the bumper, modern day ones are about 30cm x 30cm though so would defnitely fancy that....

Hang on a minute, im talking myself ionto a climatronic install here, what am i doing!!!!!!

If i do take this on i may be pestering you alot Tony, what switches have you got in yours????

My system does run the later R134a refrigerant....

The existing AC rad (condensor) on mine is huge as well but is mounted on the outside of the existing one so its hidden in the bumper, modern day ones are about 30cm x 30cm though so would defnitely fancy that....

Hang on a minute, im talking myself ionto a climatronic install here, what am i doing!!!!!!

If i do take this on i may be pestering you alot Tony, what switches have you got in yours????

My system does run the later R134a refrigerant....

My condensor is mounted outside the existing one bracketed off the rad but it really is huge, I had to carve lumps out of the front panel to get it to fit around the right headlight and also by the top fan cover where the pipe connects.

The control panel is from a 96 Passat VR6, the box for which fitted straight into the centre console but I did have to modify the front panel as it was too big. The curve on the facia does not exactly match the console and the black is slightly different but that is really picking fault, overall it has to be one of the best mods I've done to the car.

Pestering is OK, it's good to share the experience of the job. Your location says to me that you possibly drive almost passed the end of my road as I live 5 minutes from J30 M1 so if you're passing I'd be glad to show you how much fun it was! I managed to borrow the wiring diags for the Passat from my local dealer (they've lost the Corrado ones) without which I would never have managed it, I've got a copy of them at home if you do decide to go for it.

I feel another Corrado climatronic coming along this summer, dinkus has already been asking questions too, I'd better look for something else now they're getting common :lol:

Were you replacing an existing AC system tonedef or starting from scratch??

Mice already has AC but would like to modernise it as it is atad on the unreliable side...

same here, i have aircon in mine, got in car lastnight, was sorching hot (full black leather interior)

flicked on aircon and within a few minutes it was lovely, yet other times i've flicked it on and i don't seem to get any cool air?

seems to work best when engine is cold

Yeah, but I'm still deciding whether this year should be Climatronic and engine, or bodywork...

That looks ace - would that switch gear be the same as the Golf one that bigpants baby is selling on??

What would you say was the hardest part of the install? I mean electrically or actual instalation of parts etc, where abouts is the evap mounted, is it under the dash beneath the glove box??

That looks ace - would that switch gear be the same as the Golf one that bigpants baby is selling on??

What would you say was the hardest part of the install? I mean electrically or actual instalation of parts etc, where abouts is the evap mounted, is it under the dash beneath the glove box??

Not quite sure what the Golf switch gear looks like, I'm sure it's going to be something like the same though.

I would say the hardest part of the install was squeezing all the bits in, the drier/receiver went in place of the carbon canister. The vacuum accumulator went behind the other corner of the front bumper which meant moving the horns. I've already mentionned the issues with the condensor. The wiring was pretty easy once I managed to get the right drawings but there's a fair bit goes into the relay plate so I had to re-pin some plugs there. You also need to have a later type fan controller as the compressor clutch is driven by a relay in there, that plug also had to be re-pinned. The main evap bolted straight into the exisiting three holes plus one extra that had to be drilled it also picked up all the ducting no problems. I had to fit an actuated flap valve into the dash centre vent as the Passat duct would not fit. There's a sunlight sensor had to go in the top of the dash which I cut through the small centre grill which looks like it should hold a speaker but doesn't, I'm still not too happy with the lens I have over it so may replace it at some time if I have to take the dash out again anyway. One of the water temp sensor had to be swapped for a four pin item rather than the original two pin one and there's an extra water temp sensor goes into a different type of heater pipe.

The evap itself is quite a lot bigger than the original system and I've ended up with a much shallower glove box and only approx 20mm deep lower shelf on the passenger side.

I also have a small hole through the dash on the passenger side where the cabin air temp sensor is fitted, I'm still looking for a small plastic grill to cover that up.

It all sounds like a big job but done step by step it was pretty straightforward. I am however an engineer and did at one time build Group N Evos for the Ralliart works team so I maybe don't get phased by stuff that some people may find a little daunting !

The evap itself is quite a lot bigger than the original system and I've ended up with a much shallower glove box and only approx 20mm deep lower shelf on the passenger side.

Thats as mine is now....

Sounds very fiddly and i dont know whether i have the minerals.......

Thats as mine is now....

Sounds very fiddly and i dont know whether i have the minerals.......

But you know you want to really! It's not as bad as it reads, I'd do another if I had to :lol:

I have this diavia set up or a mk3 climatronic-take yer pick

Short of offering an install service I'm doing what I can to encourage sales for you Carl.

Not sure anginthere would be too happy if I had Corrado climatronic jobs lined up on the drive, I'm only home from Kent 2 days a week right now and the next job's looking like a stint back in Saudi so the waiting list would be long!

I'd do another if I had to

offering an install service

Thats interesting, i would be seriously interested if that was an option....

I'd do another if I had to

offering an install service

Thats interesting, i would be seriously interested if that was an option....[/quote:8d792]

Badly written that, maybe it would have been better reading "If I bought another Corrado I'd do another install". I was looking at buying the VR BlueRado is selling and swapping a few bits over to mine before selling it on, that would have probably grown climatronic while it lived here!

I think that four or five good days would see one done but right now that's probably a month's worth of my time at home :lol:

All,

I am shipping my Corrado out to Saudi Arabia with out the A/C - I've run out of time - hopefully I'll get a custom install done out there, if not I'm in trouble temperatures rise to 49 C in the summer!!

Cheers

Hamza

All,

I am shipping my Corrado out to Saudi Arabia with out the A/C - I've run out of time - hopefully I'll get a custom install done out there, if not I'm in trouble temperatures rise to 49 C in the summer!!

Cheers

Hamza

Hi Hamza,

Where are you going to in Saudi? It's starting to sound like my next contract (if we ever get clear of this one in Kent) might be in Yanbu starting some time in June or July. You'll sure be needing a/c over there, you can hardly wind down the windows and let some cool air in car you???

I would recommend a climatronic install simply because of how many new models come with it and therefore the availability of cars to rob.

cheers,

Tony

I did quite a bit of work in saudi last year fitting tracking and security equipment to vehicles.

I have never felt heat like it, khamis in the north wasnt too bad, it was a bit like the uk in the summer but Dhahran reached 52c in the shade at one point and we had to work outside in that heat.

I visited a few places including Bahrain, Dhahran, Khamis, Taif, Tabuk and Riyadh

so I would definately agree air-con is a must over there. although i did see a mint condition early beetle on one of the BAE compounds while i was there.

Got so fed up with how hot my car gets, Keith at ACE is putting my kit in next month

I'll be working in Riyadh from June

Got so fed up with how hot my car gets, Keith at ACE is putting my kit in next month

Which kit have you got?

Cheers

Just noticed you've got a cappucchino, my sister had one of these it was great fun.

Just noticed you've got a cappucchino, my sister had one of these it was great fun.

I've owned my Cappo for nearly 10 years - its running 110 bhp - the car weighs 725kg so great power to wieght - plus RWD.

Check out http://www.cappuccinosport.com & http://www.clubcappo.co.uk - its amazing what you can do with one of these....

Unfortunately selling my one now, alas.

Cheers

Hamza