Sign in to follow this  
balboa

250 BHP mk2 vr6 ????

Hi guys....i have a mk2 golf with a 2.9 vr6 lump...at the moment id say the car is around 210 bhp...going for more power so i am going for a stroker crank with lightened fly wheel and boar the engine out to a 3.2 vr6......have been told this woul add around 40-45 bhp ....so that wud take my car to around 250 bhp....has anyone done this or heard of it ...and would i gain an extra 40-45 bhp ???

also would i need to re-map the car once all this work is done ??

many thanks in advance

charging the car at this moment is too much money....getting the above work done at fairly good mates rates.....will be supercharging it for next summer

ahh rite i see! yeah i would guess it would add at least 25-30+bhp if not more if you decide to bore it to 3.2, that would be awesome! if done correctly and then setup nicely i reckon you could achieve 250.

sweet....cant wait to get it done...once thats done then il get her supercharged and she'll be at least 320 bhp.....happy days....cheers fella !!!

Hi guys....i have a mk2 golf with a 2.9 vr6 lump...at the moment id say the car is around 210 bhp...going for more power so i am going for a stroker crank with lightened fly wheel and boar the engine out to a 3.2 vr6......have been told this woul add around 40-45 bhp ....so that wud take my car to around 250 bhp....has anyone done this or heard of it ...and would i gain an extra 40-45 bhp ???

also would i need to re-map the car once all this work is done ??

many thanks in advance

Displacement increase, Low boost turbo, supercharging, nitrous.

charging the car at this moment is too much money....getting the above work done at fairly good mates rates.....will be supercharging it for next summer

Do you know how much a stroker kit and pistons/boring cost? Supercharging would be a hell of alot cheaper.

H8rra has a stroker kit but its supercharged.

These guys do a good stroker crank for 3.2 - http://www.eurospecsport.com/introduction.htm

It's not worth the expense and stroked motors never rev as keenly as the stock crank.

You'd be better off with a turbo if it's torque you want.

If you want power, just stick with a lightened and balanced stock motor and whack some 300 degree cams into a stage 3 BV head, fit solid lifters and turn up the rev limiter to 8000rpm.

Yep. They are also lighter than hydraulic lifters. From what I've read before...its a big job. They are louder not self adjusting like the hydraulic ones.

You can get any cams you like :-) I think Crane do some 300s for VR6s.....

Hyrdo lifters aren't much good beyond 7000rpm, hence the solid ones and you'll also need beefier valve springs to stop bounce.....and yeah, solid lifters would need periodic shimming to adjust the valve clearance. A complete pain in the arse that I used to have to on my MK1 Jetta 1500 many moons ago :-)

Power obviously rises with revs (think VTEC) but the torque will stay low, think VTEC again, LOL!

That's why pound for pound, forced induction is best for VR6s....... unless you specifically want a high revving N/A motor.

i believe the stoker crank can cos upto a couple of thousand pounds, however getting it supplied and fitted for a very reasonable price...too good to pass up ......hopefully ive been told the crank with the lighteded flywheel and boared out to 3.1 will give me an extra 40-45 bhp.

With all the money your going to spend trying to get to 250bhp out of your VR...you might as well go forced induction or swap in a 24v VR6 motor.

Its going to take more than a stroker crank and some boring to get you to 250. Your going to need all kinds of headwork. A proper flowing cylinder head is crucial to making power on a NA motor. You'll need pistons to bump the compression up too. Boring to 3.1 will also make the cyinder walls thinner too.

Its going to cost you and arm and a leg to just get the 2.8 VR to 250bhp.

Here is a thread on Vortex from Bildon about getting 250 wheel horse power out of a 12v VR.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2616140

Not as simple as bumping the displacement.

I know Cat makes a 308 or so, Techtonics had a mechanical grind bigger than a 272 at one point too I think.