Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Coolant pressure, hardness of hoses

Just did a service on a mates mk3 Golf VR6 and changed the coolant. Straight after I did the same on my Corrado VR6.

Mine has Samcos and his is on standard hoses but mine seem to be under alot of pressure, more than I've ever noticed on any other car. Anyone running the same, do you notice the pressure in the pipes seems high? By this I mean struggling to push the hose in 5mm with the system closed and engine running.

Maybe just looking for things now but don't want the matrix going again so just double checking really.

Cheers.

Yeah i was thinking that, run the car with the cap off and see if you get any bubbles come up...

Ok, so I take it it does look like a problem as your hoses don't get under that much pressure?

I ran it with the cap off after changing the coolant and squeazed the hoses to get any air out. After the initial run I haven't had any bubbles come up.

The oil and coolant aren't contaminated so hoping its not the head gasket.

Last year my vr6 thermostat housing broked, ant coolant hoses cracked twise... Will have to check preasure too... Hope it's not head gasket...

Yer, I normally get the air out with the engine running, the cap off and heater on hot/motor running. I didn't think that made any odds on these cars as the water should always be flowing through the heater matrix but do that anyway.

Still seems under alot of pressure.. Can you easily squeeze the hoses on yours once the car is up to normal temp?

Think I'll get down the local garage soonish then and hopefully they'll have something they can measure the pressure with. Any ideas what the coolant pressure should be?

Apparently the official method of refilling the VR6 is via the top rad hose, with the expansion tank cap off. This is the best way to avoid airlocks.

Well guys, I'm totaly lost now...

As i mentioned befor my vr6 coolant hoses are very hard - after some driving it's almost impossible to press them... Checked the head gasket with CO test - everything seems to be ok, car is not overheating - temperature always stays between 90-95 degrees. Coolant tank cap is changed with new one (VAG original).... Whole system is bleeded properly (i think so :) ) (don't see any air bublles coming when engine is working and coolant tank cap is taken off)... Only problem i've found - that external electrical coolant pump is not working (i've tried to connect it to battery directly - it is working, but for some reason voltage is not coming to the plug... - maybe one of the fuses???) - may this be a couse of too high pressure?

Any ideas?...

Thanks

Well guys, I'm totaly lost now...

As i mentioned befor my vr6 coolant hoses are very hard - after some driving it's almost impossible to press them... Checked the head gasket with CO test - everything seems to be ok, car is not overheating - temperature always stays between 90-95 degrees. Coolant tank cap is changed with new one (VAG original).... Whole system is bleeded properly (i think so :) ) (don't see any air bublles coming when engine is working and coolant tank cap is taken off)... Only problem i've found - that external electrical coolant pump is not working (i've tried to connect it to battery directly - it is working, but for some reason voltage is not coming to the plug... - maybe one of the fuses???) - may this be a couse of too high pressure?

Any ideas?...

Thanks

Sounds like the fan relay box by your header tank

I'm not sure i've understood you correctly - did you meen, that external coolant pump might not be working because of faulty fan relay - nr. 15??

Edit: this might be wrong relay sheme, cause it's taken from corrado slc manual...